Users who are viewing this thread

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Terry,
Thanks for taking the time to create such an informative web site.

We are working on a home addition which when complete will replace our 1949 bathroom with 2 bathrooms. We had already decided we wanted an ADA toilet in the master bath. When my toilet with the tank bolted on the wall continued leaking (into bowl recently even after replacement of the ball, I decide to go ahead & purchase one of the new toilets for the addition & get it installed in the old bath & then just move it into addition later. After research including your site & the MAP tests, I narrowed my choices down to Drake or Ultra-Max. My wife wanted the one piece UM instead of the 2 piece Drake so I shelled out the extra $ for it. When I went to order from the wholesaler, they informed me that Toto was in the midst of switching from 1.6 to 1.28 gal flush models so I decided to go ahead & purchase both toilets while I could still get the 1.6g model. The old cast iron toilet flange is well over ½” above the floor, not allowing the toilet to sit on the floor when on the flange so I had a friend who makes Corion countertops cut out a piece of ½” Corion from a template for the toilet to sit on. Got the ADA model on & all hooked up. Works great. Now I just have to fix up the wall where the tank was bolted & get the addition finished. This thing flushes really fast & is a little noisy at the end of the flush (when it sucks the air down) for middle of the night flushes, but we have yet to have to flush twice. My wife is VERY happy, & the water bill should be back down next month as a result of the replacement.

I was also wondering if you have any idea on any uses for the antique that I removed or who may want it? Round bowl with a huge wall mounted tank & chrome pipe in between. Flush valve needs replacing but I knew I couldn’t use one of the plastic ones since the threads don’t go to the end of the flush valve on those to be able to affix the nut to hold the chrome pipe.

Anyways, I just wanted to drop you a line to say thank you for the advice & the web site.

Best wishes,
E Hobbs,

Corapeake, NC

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto_cst854_cutaway.gif

A cutaway of the Toto Ultramax showing the sweeping trapway,
and how it points the waste down the drain.
That little dip will hold water between flushes too.
It helps to fool it into thinking the trapway is smaller, which creates more suction.
When the solids are sucked though, it finds a round 2-1/8" trapway.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/toto_cst854_2.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
I believe this is the thread for this, but if not someone can create a new thread with this info. Now with that being said....

Now introducing the Ultramax II:

AKA the one piece Eco-Gwyneth. I dont understand why Toto is renaming it, but still a great value.

Not to be confused with the Eco-Ultramax 1.28 flush ADA CEFIONTECT toilet. No Cyclone flush, only available in white and $135 MORE!

Or the Eco Ultramax 1.28 flush ADA toilet. No CEFIONTECT or Cyclone, also only available in White and $66 MORE!

I am all for Toto giving such a great deal on the Gwyneths but at the same time they seem to be pricing other models out like the Drake and the Ultramax. Any one know if anything else changes with the MS604 other than the name?

kartuli

Reaction score
Ultramax vs. Drake

Terry, you say on your site that the Ultramax is your first choice - but the Drake and the Gwyneth are both cheaper, with higher map scores than the Ultramax. What is it about the Ultramax that makes it your first choice?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any MaP score "over" 500 grams is overkill.

I have a 305 V-8 engine in a rear wheel drive Chevy Nova with drum brakes and an AM radio.
Goes fast, doesn't stop worth a darn. Crummy bench seat in front, no leg room in back.

Which is better, that or a Toyota Highlander with ABS four wheel disc brakes, four wheel drive, overhead cam engine with electronic fuel injection and satelite radio.

I drive the Highlander. Much better for skiing.

I like one-piece toilets.
For looks and cleaning.
And they come with the softclose seat.

And My next one will be the Toto Soiree.
Love the skirted base, CEFIONTECT and the style.

If I were buying the Drake, I would get that in CEFIONTECT too.

highlander_1.jpg

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Terry, you say on your site that the Ultramax is your first choice - but the Drake and the Gwyneth are both cheaper, with higher map scores than the Ultramax. What is it about the Ultramax that makes it your first choice?

Thanks!

The Drake is a 2pc toilet and the Ultramax is a 1pc toilet.
Ultramax has a Map test of 700 and the Gwyenth is 500.
If your looking at the Eco-Ultramax it is 500.

simagic

Reaction score
Flush rate Ultramax model MS854114SL.

I just installed the Ultramax model MS854114SL. I seem to have a flushing problem and was hoping that someone in this forum could help me. Here's the situation. When the tank in full, there is 7 inches of water in it. When I flush it, the water quickly drops down to 4 inches. Less than 1/2 the water is flushed. It appears as thought the flapper doesn't stay up long enough to allow more water to come out. The toilet supposed to flush 1.6 gallons per flush. So this is what I did. As I said the tank when full has 7 inches of water in it, so I scooped out enough water to bring it down to 4 inches of water and then measured the amount of water I removed from the tank. That came out to just a little more than a gallon. So I'm clearly thinking something must be wrong. I was hoping someone out there with the same toilet could let me know if their toilet has the same measured drop in water in the tank ( i.e. from 7 inches of water when tank is full to 4 inches of water after the flush )
Is my toilet flawed ?? Help

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is water that drops from the tank,
And there is water that comes from the fill valve tube that refills the bowl.

Add the water in the tank, to the water in the bowl, and then a little more for the overfill.

Most of the old five gallon toilets used a little over 2 gallons on the actual flush, and ran another 2 gallons down the drain while "overfilling" the bowl.

That's one reason the old toilets that used so much water worked as poorly as they did, most of the water would leave the bowl, long after the flush. Sometimes water would run down the drain for two minutes after a flush.

New toilets use their water much more efficiently.

simagic

Reaction score
Terry.
Thanks for the reply about the water amount, but I'M STILL NOT SURE
AND IT'S STILL NOT CLEAR TO ME if having 4 inches remaining in the bowl after the flush would be normal or not. 7inches when filled ...4 inches when flushed??????
Do you have one you could look into and flush and see if the results are the same as mine? I'm not getting a great flush and that's why I think that 4 inches remaining might be not normal. Any chance of checking one you have??
Thanks very much for your time....Simagic

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Only some of the water leaves the tank.
That's true for every new toilet since 1992.

The flapper is designed to drop quickly.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They use the height of the tank like a water tower to generate more pressure during the flush. What you have is entirely normal. Coming from an old toilet that took forever (in comparison) to flush, it just doesn't seem like it could work, but at least with Toto designs, it does. After a week or so, you'll wonder when you flush an old toilet what's wrong and think why is it still running!

That water going down the overflow tube will be the 'rest' of the water of a 1.6g flush. It's needed to fill the bowl back up again.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mr. Love,
I am writing to express my thanks for the great service you did by posting your "Consumer Report on Low-flow Toilets" on your website. In the process of remodeling my two bathrooms, I did a lot of toilet shopping and web searching, which turned out to be very time consuming and quite worthless until I stumbled onto your report. Trips to the big home improvement stores only provide about 1% of the information you need to make an informed purchase, and trips to plumbing supply showrooms and company websites were useless for comparative or real-world performance information. I had never even heard of Toto, but after reading you report I immediately bought a Soiree and an Ultramax, installed them myself, and am totally satisfied with their performance.
Incidentally, I had never remodeled a bathroom or replaced a toilet before, and your website is the best resource I have found for a novice seeking useful information. Now I even plan to replace the other two toilets in my house because the Toto's are so superior.
I used to live in Lake City and have recommended you to all my old Seattle friends. I've also sent your website to more than a dozen folks whenever the subject of bathroom remodeling comes up. Attached are few photos of my bathroom project.
Thanks again, R Ferek
Arlington VA

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Ultramax

Terry,

I just want thank you for your website. I am in the process of major remodeling of my condo. I did a lot of research on toilets and plumbing and your website with comments on specific products helped me make the right choices. I purchased a Toto Ultramax toilet and installed it in my 1st floor bathroom. This one piece low flow and very quiet toilet is great! The amount of flush power is amazing. It works like a charm. I have yet to do a courtesy flush and doubt that I ever will. I can usually do a half flush by pushing the handle quickly. It only uses half of the water in the tank. It refills in about 7 seconds and is very quiet compared to most toilets. I like it so much that I installed 2 more in the upstairs bathrooms. I intend to build a full bath in my basement and you can guess which toilet I have already decided on. I am even looking at the Toto Bathtub as a possibility for my tub and shower.
Thanks again! Keep up the great work!!!

Daniel S
Columbus, Ohio

berchman

Reaction score
On the basis of the recommendation of this web site I installed an Ultra Max with a T wash seat. Without getting too graphic, I will simply say that my very high fiber diet puts great demands on a toilet's flushing ability. While this Toto is a great improvement on the toilet I had before, it is no panacea. It *does* have to be plunged now and then. Moreover, while the expensive T wash seat is certainly better than nothing, it does not begin to equal a directed spray from a shower. "Residue" is still visible on the paper even after a lengthy high pressure wash. The dryer is useless unless you want to sit on a toilet forever. The warmed seat is nice. The anti-odor fan works. It is not necessary to spend for the most expensive model as I did for its fore and aft adjustment of the wash nozzle. One can simply shift one's position a little on the seat.
berchman

I'm assuming the post is about bidet seats or washlets.
I find that the Toto C110 washlet does a good job rinsing
Terry

Headless Gal

Reaction score
Dying to order the Ultramax but have a newbie question..........so please excuse me. My home was built in 1974 and the rough in measurements are approx 13 1/2" instead of the industry standard of 12". Instead of moving the sewer pipe I'm assuming (I know what they say) this just means the toilet would sit 1 1/2" farther out from the wall. Correct???
Since I'm wanting to purchase 2 of these babies and have them shipped to the L.A. area do you foresee any problems?. Guess I should also tell you I'm a woman who thinks she'll be able to do this with just a little help from her friends (for muscle). Go ahead, have a good laugh but I'm addicted to all of those DIY/HGTV shows.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TIA, Sydney.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks