Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
GeorgeCT: The symptoms you experienced from the Voreto valve in your picture are exactly why I ripped it out and put in a Korky in my Drake. The 528MP is perfect for our Totos. As you may have read elsewhere on this forum, Toto is now selling basically the 528MP as its Universal Replacement fill valve. The packaging is different and the instructions are more precise, but it's basically the same thing. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ultramax_ada_miller.jpg

MS854114SL, ADA Ultramax

The previous bowl was the MS853113S, which they had for years, and now they've opted for the ADA version. They do like their TOTO!

nanfroemming

Reaction score
We purchased a Toto Ultramax elongated toiled in bone January of 2010 and we love it. Never had a problem with the toilet. However, the toilet seat that came with it is now wearing out as far as it's ability to close slowly. The bottom half still closes slowly but the top part slams shut. Not sure if there is an easy fix for this or if we need to purchase a new seat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
We purchased a Toto Ultramax elongated toiled in bone January of 2010 and we love it. Never had a problem with the toilet. However, the toilet seat that came with it is now wearing out as far as it's ability to close slowly. The bottom half still closes slowly but the top part slams shut. Not sure if there is an easy fix for this or if we need to purchase a new seat.
Toto's response will be buy a new seat. If you do a search on this website, and are willing to play with it, someone found a source for the hydraulic damping fluid used in the hinge and posted instructions on how to take it apart. You may also need a couple of O-rings. So, depends on your skill level and willingness to tinker. My oldest one is more than 10-years old, and still functions fine. I do think if (guests?) push it closed, especially fast, that it can force the fluid past the seals and once it is depleted, there's nothing to slow it down. Funny story...A friend mentioned to me he'd installed a new soft-close seat on the toilet while we were talking with his wife listening. This had been several months previously. His wife blurted out 'I've been pushing it closed...I thought it was just tight!' Then, she went in and tried just letting it go on its own to verify...sometimes, you have to let people know not to try to close it...just get it started.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
I have two questions. I have an Ultramax, just for background info.. 1) How long have they been using this green fill valve? What do you call it, who makes it, and is it any better than the Korky 528? 2) I saw a Toto toilet at someone's house that seemed to have a greatly improved bowl action that might tend to keep the bowl cleaner. I always liked the way the Ultramax flushes straight down, but this new model did seem to flow the water in like a cyclone action around the bowl a lot more than the Ultramax. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and is the new model "better" overall than the Ultramax? The only complaint I have about the Ultramax is the bowl seems to grow mold and need frequent cleaning. Thank you!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The fill valves that come from the factory are set at the proper refill percentage for that toilet. The "refill percentage" is the percentage of the water flowing through the fill valve that is diverted into the little hose between fill valve and overflow riser, and which then goes down the overflow riser to refill the bowl so that it has water in it with which to start the flush.

For the original Ultramax, which is a GMax flush, the proper refill percentage is 40 percent. The original valves that came in the toilet from Toto, regardless of valve manufacturer, were set at 40 percent. Most of them were Korky, but they also installed a Chinese valve of Toto design, called the Voreto valve (for its manufacturer, Voreto (Xianen) Manufacturing, Ltd., a partnership with Toto). The Korky 528s with the blue top, the ones that you can buy in the store labelled "Fits Toto", the 528T model, are also set at 40 percent.

Later Totos, using the EMax (1.28) flush, had a different refill percentage, and the valves from the factory were set to the proper refill percentage for them.

The newer Toto designs, called the II Series, include the Drake II, the Ultramax II, the Vespin II, the Carlyle II, etc. These all come with CEFIONTECT as a standard feature, a Universal Height bowl, and a 1.28 gpf flush that has no vertical holes in the bowl rim, but rather some openings that spray horizonally to create a swirl ("cyclone") rinse. I don't think it makes the flush any better, but it gives a little better bowl rinse, particularly in combination with the CEFIONTECT. All these toilets have a 28 percent refill ratio, I believe, although it may vary between model. The valves that come in them, whether from Korky, Voreto, or another manufacturer, are preset at that refill percentage.

With all these refill percentages, Toto commissioned Korky to create, manufacture, and supply Toto's Universal Toto Replacement Fill Valve, model TSU99A.X. It's basically a Korky 528MP (MaxPerformance) fill valve, which has a little knob right where it connects to the refill hose that lets you vary the refill percentage from zero to 40 percent. The Korky-branded 528MP has instructions on how to guesstimate the proper refill setting. The Korky-made-but-Toto-branded TSU99A.X comes with a little gizmo that lets you set it precisely for your model of toilet. That's the major difference. The TSU99A.X allows Toto and its supply-house partners and plumber partners to stock ONE Toto-branded replacement fill valve that will work on any Toto gravity toilet, rather than having to stock replacement parts for each one.

Me, personally, I like the Korky 528 design (and the TSU99A.X) because once it is installed, all the parts that will wear out (the "wear parts") are contained in a little cap that you can get at Home Depot for $4, and thus can fix it when the time comes without having to take the valve out of the tank. You just pull off the top, access the cap, pull out the little strainer inside and rinse it, put it back in place and put in the new cap, put on the top, and you're in business. Just that one cap (Model R528) fits in every Korky 528: the white-top basic 528, the red-top 528Z with leak-guard, the blue-top Fits Toto 528T, the silver-top 528MP and the black-top 528PRO, as well as any Toto-branded 528, including the TSU99A.X. Takes me less than a minute to change that cap. I also like the Korky 528 because the Voreto valves can suddenly start screeching or chirping on shutoff. I ripped them out of our house toilets and replaced them with the 528T where appropriate, and the 528MP in others. Aaaah, back to silence.

Terry has said in other posts that he likes the 528MP because it's the only fill valve he has to carry on his truck (he now uses a plumbers-only variety of it called the 528PRO) to fix any Toto fill valve. He also says that it allows him to just tell customers over the phone how to fix their problems by replacing that little cap, instead of coming out to their house. (Of course, the good folks at Korky are always willing to provide over-the-phone guidance on replacing or servicing any of their products, and their 800 number is staffed by nice people in Wisconsin, where they manufacture their stuff. They also have links to YouTube from their web site, where they have posted semi-professional-looking videos of how to install or service most of their products.)

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
We're trying to decide between CST454CEFG and MS604114CEFG.
One complaint that I've seen in reviews of Toto toilets is that "there is no lip on the bowl, so if you have boys or men in the house, there will be pee splashes all over!" or "whether your male or female, if you're sitting, your stream will hit the front inside of the bowl and splash up to the under side of the seat as well as your thighs."
Is this really an issue and if so, has Toto done anything to address it in their designs?

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have multiple Totos. There is indeed a lip in the Ultramax, Carlyle, Drake and Drake II.

I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Never ever noticed this issue. It seems bogus to me.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
We have multiple Totos. There is indeed a lip in the Ultramax, Carlyle, Drake and Drake II.

I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Never ever noticed this issue. It seems bogus to me.
Thank you for the reassurance on this subject. Which of these two models is preferable?

Reach4

Reaction score
Which of these two models is preferable?
The one piece would be preferable once installed. A one piece is a little easier to clean, and it has higher status. One piece may be a little less work to install, because it is already assembled. There is less chance of a leak, and there is less problem in how to tighten the pieces together the right amount. However the one piece is heavier than the bowl of the 2 piece, so if you are climbing stairs or you are otherwise constrained in lifting, the 2 piece has the advantage. Two piece has a price advantage.

http://www.totousa.com/ultramax®-ii-one-piece-toilet-128-gpf-elongated-bowl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Both the MS604114CEFG and the CST454CEFG, same bowl design have been big sellers for me.
I have the Ultramax II in my home now, and have also used the Drake II in a main bath. They have always been great. The comments above sound like a photo bomb to get a response.
It's not worty of one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms604-terrylove-04.jpg

TOTO MS604114CEFG Ultramax II
I sell a ton of these. And that white caulking will turn clear in the morning.
I normally take the picture before I put the caulking down. In the morning you won't even see it when it turns clear.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms854114eg-terrylove-01.jpg

I install three of these in Brier, Washington. This one is patiently waiting to be carried into the home.

ms854114eg-terrylove-04.jpg

ms854114eg-terrylove-03.jpg

ms854114eg-terrylove-02.jpg

TOTO MS854114EG-01 with Bemis seat.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks