Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are two things in a typical toilet that wear out: the rubber flapper (around $10 if I remember - depending on your water and how much clorine there is anywhere from a few years to many), and, on the Toto's that use the Korky valve, a rubber seal (about $2.50 - could last many years; maybe less if you have a well and get grit in your water). Both are readily available at Lowes and most any plumbing supply house, or on-line.

blumc

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not sure if the Ultramax uses a "Korky" but I'm hoping this means no major issues getting one if I need it!

One more - do you know if I can replace the chrome trip lever handle with one I pick up to match my Kohler faucets? Or is there something proprietary about it? Thanks again! This is the last piece I need before my bathroom remodel cna get started and I'm getting jazzed!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many trip levers will work on the Ultramax.
From Toto, you can order Brushed Nickel, White, Sedonia Beige (Biscut), Bone (Almond) Chrome, Polished Brass.

And any Generic handle that works on the side of the tank too.

Lowes carries fill valves and flappers that work for the Toto.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Well, my Ultramax is about 6-7 years old.

I just had to replace the red flapper, that was about $9 at Lowes.

Then I found out the Korky fill valve they used to use in the Ultramax was leaking, and I ended up having to replace the fill valve, the $2.50 cap didn't work to fix the fill valve.

The Korky style fill valve was $16.09 + Shipping. Can be as much as $30 in some places.

Having just been through it, the only things that went in 6-7 years was the flapper and the fill valve. I recommend checking your tank periodically to make sure the valve is shutting off below the overflow tube. I didn't hear the fill valve leaking, and a lot of people have said the same thing.

Korky says to clean the fill valve every so often, maybe once a year? I'd be curious what others think about that. From what I've seen, it might be better not to disturb the plastic and rubber parts unless you are having a problem. It took a long time for me to have a problem...

Lee

fish9483

Reaction score
eco version

how does the eco version compare and is there any that really work. thanks in advance

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Eco Ultramax uses the same porcelain.
They add a weight to the flapper to make it close quicker.

If you need more water, a person can always hold the handle down just a bit longer.

I've been using the Eco Gwyneth and the Eco Drake, they seem to work fine.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
so you would recommend the Eco Gwyneth and the Eco Drake over the Eco Ultramax

I didn't know I was being asked that.
All of the Toto toilets are pretty similar.

I prefer one-piece toilets.
I try different toilets so I can answer questions from customers.
The next one I'm putting in is the Toto Soiree.
I've installed quite a few for others, and they like them so much, I want one too.

By all means, get the Ultramax. I have one of those downstairs at the moment. I got mine with the CEFIONTECT.

JakesWorld

Reaction score
Aquia II vs ecoUltramax

First of all - thanks for such a great forum. I had no idea how little I knew until I started reading your site.

I need to buy 2 toilets and am completely torn between the Aquia II (CST416M) and the ecoUltramax (MS854114E). All of the reviews of the standard Ultramax make it seem like the best option overall......but I have not heard much about the ecoUltramax in comparison....and the few responses you gave to other questions about the ecoUltramax seemed to pale in comparison to your raves of the normal Ultramax.

Leaving cost out of the equation, if you were to select one for your home, would you pick the Aquia II or the ecoUltramax? And for what reasons?

Some of my concerns are:
Which is easier to install? (sounds like the ultramax due to the unifit adapter of the Aquia which seems to make it a bit more tricky)
Which has the better flushing capacity?
Which has a better flushing mechanism (dual max vs emax)?
Is the eMax flushing system about as good as the gmax system (as i assume the gmax is their top end system)

Also, I have seen MAP ratings on this site for the Aquia II of 800 grams (I'm assuming tied to the 1.6gpf button), but nothing for the ecoUltramax. Do you know what the MAP rating is for the ecoUltramax?

And does the 3" flush valve of the ecoUltramax make a big difference over the flush valve of the Aquia II?

I may be renting my house out too, so want something that is rock solid and reliable since tenants aren't typically very careful about these things.

Ok, I have already written far more than I should have.....but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Also, I have seen MAP ratings on this site for the Aquia II of 800 grams (I'm assuming tied to the 1.6gpf button), but nothing for the ecoUltramax. Do you know what the MAP rating is for the ecoUltramax?
Actually the CST416M has a Map test of 500 the old CST414 has a Map test of 800.

I would put in the Ultramax over the Aquia.
I like a One piece toilet over a two piece for cleaning purposes, plus One piece just seems more upscale compared to a two piece.
Some people have proplems with the water surface of the Aquia.
Aquia can be harder to install especially if you have tile floors and you have to drill and anchor the mounting blocks.
The Aquia flush valve assembly is more complicated than the regular flush valve.

The Ultramax (G-Max) has a Map test of 800 and the Eco-Ultramax (E-max) has a Map test of 500.

There is no difference in price so unless your are concerned about the 1.6 compared to the 1.28 water use, i would put in the Ultramax.

JakesWorld

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the feedback and advice. I really liked the comment about the eMax flushing system being less complicated than the dual flush.....I had not thought about that and seems like a really good point. As much as I admire the look of the Aquia (love the skirted and contemporary look) there seem to be several concessions to go that route (unconventional install, unconvential flush mechanism, etc). But they both seem great in their own ways.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to post some pics once I pull the trigger and get them installed!

fish9483

Reaction score
my toilet drain is 12" centre to the wall. so the ultrax should just set in where the old one was?

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you have 12" then yes it will fit no problem.
That is a standard toilet rough-in.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

nanoec

Reaction score
Eco Ultramax one-piece with CEFIONTECT

I installed it a week ago and so far we are loving it. The installation was very easy. The one piece comes fully assembled so all you do is put it on the wax seal, tighten down the nuts on the closet bolts, connect the water supply, then put on the supplied seat and it is ready for action. The biggest challenge was the ca. 1948 closet drain, not the toilet itself. The 1-piece Ultramax looks great in our Eichler (modern style).

So far the toilet has performed flawlessly. The flush is quiet by our standards. We have not had any issues with flushing...haven't needed a second one yet. I am happy with the water spot (which is why I steered away from the Aquia) and the CEFIONTECT has kept things clean. The only thing I am not 100% satisfied with is the comfort of the seat. Other than that it has been a great buy.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for all the posts as this site was instrumental in the background research I did which led to the selection. Keep up the good work!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The MaP for the 1.6 Drake is 900 grams and the Ultramax being 700 grams.
I used the 325 gram rated Ultimate for two years and it worked very well.
In the same bathroom, I tried the Kohler Cimarron, and it plugged constantly.

The guy that wrote the MaP testing finally bought himself a low flow toilet, the Carama with the 550 gram rating.
I was never a fan of the Caroma and I told him so. He had to find out the hard way, that the Caroma bowls don't stay clean.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks