Search results

1. Bratan

Connecting utility sink to drain

I'm planning to add utility sink next to my washing machine because drain and water connections already there. What would be the best way to connect it's drain. That black pipe on the picture is glued together, so I'll probably have to cut and add some kind of slitter pieces. Any advise? :)
  2. Bratan

Reducing faucet hole/opening

I'm installing RO system faucet into stainless steel sink. Faucet requires 1/2" opening to be cut, but I already have 1.5" inch hole where old hose used to be. Hole is directly in the stainless sink, just bare metal no counter-top is involved. Is there any way I can "reduce" this hole to fit new...
  3. Bratan

Boiler silent after oil pump replaced

I recently had maintenance performed on my oil boiler. Guy couldn't get oil pump going after that (he spend about 4 hours) and it had to be replaced. I wasn't happy about the bill, but that's another story. After pump was replaced, my boiler is now almost silent. I mean it was roaring like a...
  4. Bratan

Danger of using old air compressor

I never had an air compressor before but always wanted one for my garage. Couple of days ago I was passing a garage sale and guy had this Devilbiss 20 gallon 5HP compressor really cheap ($20). He said it ran great and only had little leak near regulator. He was selling it because he had 2 more...
  5. Bratan

Air handler to duct connector

I recently noticed that one of the ducts came loose from air handler in the attic. It seems that duct tape was all that was holding it there. There's about an inch of collar sticking out (6.5" diameter), and I'm unable to reconnect duct back to it, cause it's soft and keeps slipping off. Is...
  6. Bratan

Can I use expanding foam in roof eaves openings?

Last summer I had huge wasp problem. They nested inside walls, gaining access thru some small openings near roof eaves. And eventually made it inside the house. Exterminator dusted the nest, but for for a month I had all those stunned wasps crawling inside the house in every room, it was a...
  7. Bratan

DIY Basement ventilation and boiler

It's cold outside, really cold, so I'm doing some projects in my basement some of which really need to be done in "well ventilated area" (i.e. wood staining, working with acetone, etc.). So I really want to try and make some kind of inexpensive ventilation system. Then I realized, I already...
  8. Bratan

Question about well filter

My water well system has some kind of filter before it goes thru softener. Sediment preFilter or something like that. I have no idea what this thing is called and what kind of filter I need to buy to replace. Can someone help me out? :) It doesn't actually say anything on it other than Jumbo...
  9. Bratan

Has anyone ever follen thru the ceiling?

Just curious :) Cause I did today. Well just my leg fell thru. I have a wasp infestation somewhere (I think they coming from the bathroom went because I find one or two each day (mostly dead). I was sure there was a nest on the attic so I got on my beekeper suit, flashlight and went to...
  10. Bratan

Why AC air handler is Electric Furnice?

My AC air handler is in the attic. I was just there (and fell thru the ceiling but that's another story) and noticed that it says "Electric Furnice" on it. I'm very curious why it says that? My house is heated by oil boiler in the basement. Can heater be hacked into part of AC or it's can be both?
  11. Bratan

Chainsaw stalling

Got brand new Husqvarna 435 chainsaw and I'm loving it except for one thing. After I get it started and it's idling, when I try to press throttle it shuts off. This happens 2-4 times in a row after which I eventually get it running. I really don't want to return as I really like it. What can it...
  12. Bratan

Swampy/Sulfur smell from upstairs faucets

We are on well system w/ water softener. In upstairs 2 bathrooms cold water from faucets has strong "swampy" smell (probably sulfur, but I'm not sure what sulfur smells like) if faucet wasn't used for couple of hours. Smell goes away after about a minute. Didn't notice smell in downstairs...
  13. Bratan

DIY egress well cover

Before we bought our house seller was forced (by building code) to install egress window and well in the basement. He chose to install casement window and of course no well cover was bought. I purchased cover specific for this Bilco well. Few weeks after installing it I realized that I can no...
  14. Bratan

Sodium in water over 77 mg/L

Hi, I recently moved into a home with water well and a water softener system. It does great job of softening water, however I just got a water test back from lab and it shows Sodium levels of 77.72 mg/L. EPA's max limit is 50. Should I be concerned about it? Do I need to adjust water...
  15. Bratan

Tankless oil-boiler water heater vs. other options?

I just moved into a house that has oil boiler (Crown TWZ150 series) that also has integrated tankless water heater. I know very little about boilers/heaters so my clueless question to the experts is this an efficient setup? Will adding a hybrid (electric) heat pump water heater improve...
  16. Bratan

Seeking recommendation for a good water testing lab

Just moved into my new home in Warwick, NY :) It has private well, which was tested for basic bacteria during inspection but I want to test water for as much as possible contaminants (i.e. arsenic, heavy metals, pesticides/herbicides, radon, VOCs, etc.). Could someone recommend a good lab for...
  17. Bratan

Connecting smaller bathroom sink drain to a large P-trap?

What would be the best way to connect sink drain? I got a straight pvc adapter that goes to the (2"?) drain in the wall, then to the P-trap, but then my sink's drain is almost 2x smaller than P-trap's opening. P-trap is 1-1/2" and sink's tailpiece is about 1-1/4 (or smaller) :( Is there an...
  18. Bratan

Mystery smell after taking respirator off

Something that puzzled me for a long time, so I thought I'd ask here :) Has anyone noticed that if you wear your respirator for a while, and as soon as you take it off there's this weird really strong "sweet" smell (similar to mothballs, but hard to describe I never smelled anything like that...
  19. Bratan

Gap between shower pan and studs

Looking for an advise :) I'm installing 4 piece pre-made shower (pan, back wall, side walls) and there's a big gap of 1-1/2" between back wall studs and shower pan :( What would be the best way to breach the gap, extend studs? 2-3 layer of 1/2" backerboard or some kind of long wood planks...
  20. Bratan

How to remove bowl with rusted bolts?

I'm trying to remove old toilet bowl (lower part) from the floor but two bolts/nuts are rusted and turn freely (both bolt and nut) :confused: How do I remove it? It doesn't go high enough for me to use hacksaw or dremel. I'm thinking of just breaking ceramic parts of the toilet near those...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks