Gap between shower pan and studs

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Bratan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Bratan

Bratan Member

Looking for an advise :)
    I'm installing 4 piece pre-made shower (pan, back wall, side walls) and there's a big gap of 1-1/2" between back wall studs and shower pan :(
    What would be the best way to breach the gap, extend studs? 2-3 layer of 1/2" backerboard or some kind of long wood planks (parallel to the floor)? Some other option?
    Single wood plank will take care of pan problem, but then there's back wall that needs to be installed and then on top of it there will be drywall (going to the ceiling)....
    20130327_134527.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would fir out the walls to make them plumb and straight.
  3. Bratan

Bratan Member

Thanks Terry! I never heard about firring out, is it something like in this video? http://youtu.be/MLPEUZ7MAUE

[video=youtube;MLPEUZ7MAUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPEUZ7MAUE&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  5. Bratan

Bratan Member

That sounds like a plan, will make 1-1/2 shims out of new stud planks (probably just cut them in half). Thank you Terry! :)
    BTW it's funny, but that's the exact table saw i have :D
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the walls are not perfectly flat and plumb and in plane with each other, just take a new, full-sized stud and screw/glue it to the side of the existing ones and make it nice and plumb and square. Quicker and easier than ripping a bunch of studs that won't take into consideration any bowing or other issues unless you want to try to make some really long tapered shims, or if bowed, curved, which would be really difficult.
  7. Bratan

Bratan Member

Good point! Actually I just got another suggestion from someone. I don't have to rip/cut anything, just buy 2x4 and screw them to the existing stud but at 90 degree angle, so it will be like "T" shape if looking from top/ceiling. Since 2x4 is actually 1.5 inch it would make the gap. But yeah if wall is uneven or new studs wrapped I'll have a problem...