DIY egress well cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
Before we bought our house seller was forced (by building code) to install egress window and well in the basement. He chose to install casement window and of course no well cover was bought. I purchased cover specific for this Bilco well. Few weeks after installing it I realized that I can no longer open window, because cover blocks it, I can't even open a little crack.
It looks like I'm going to make my own cover and hang it above window (I have cedar siding so it probably won't be too hard). Any suggestions on how to make one? :)

Bratan

Reaction score
Sure here's a photo egress_window01.jpg

Bratan

Reaction score
Maybe I can build something like this... It's coming out looking like some kind of cockpit :)
I have no idea how to attach lexan sheets tho :)

Attachments

• window_well_cover01.jpg
    window_well_cover01.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,027
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about using a pre-made awning -- perhaps a door awning?

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe search for Overhead Clear Awning Door Polycarbonate

Your assembly would have the advantage of providing some insulating properties.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a StakWell, you can stack another module on top of it so it comes up to the top of the foundation, the way the specifications say it SHOULD be. Then your cover will fit.

Bratan

Reaction score
If it is a StakWell, you can stack another module on top of it so it comes up to the top of the foundation, the way the specifications say it SHOULD be. Then your cover will fit.
It's made by Bilco. Unfortunately there's part of the house hanging above it, so even it was stack-able I wouldn't be able to do so...
I might try awning, however not sure if I can attach it to the cedar siding plus wind with blow leaves etc. from sides...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He could get out of it, until he put the cover on it afterwards. The installation specifications state that if a casement window is used the well MUST eetend above it.

Bratan

Reaction score
He could get out of it, until he put the cover on it afterwards. The installation specifications state that if a casement window is used the well MUST eetend above it.
Right. Of course none of that information came with the cover, but I just checked website and it does state there on the very bottom :(
I'm thinking it might be just easier (cheaper?) to replace casement window (did I mention how much I hate these? :) ) with single hang or something like that. That is of course if it's possible to use for egress...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks