Chainsaw stalling

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by Bratan, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Bratan

Bratan Member

Got brand new Husqvarna 435 chainsaw and I'm loving it except for one thing. After I get it started and it's idling, when I try to press throttle it shuts off. This happens 2-4 times in a row after which I eventually get it running. I really don't want to return as I really like it. What can it be?
    Again no issues starting it, or running after I get it going, but it almost always stalls after I open throttle right after cold or warm start. I'm using recommended 50:1 mix of gas and 2 cycle oil, and of course I have bar and chain oil in the second chamber.
    This is my first chainsaw (not counting horrible cheap Poulan saw which I return after using for half a day).
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It is running a little lean on the low jet.
  3. Murphy625

Murphy625 Member

Yup.. They're trying to meet California's air quality requirements for small engines and all the carbs these days are being made so that they run lean and can not be adjusted.

Best advice, stop buying products that conform to California's requirements.. Find good used older stuff and you'll be much happier.
  4. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

I know this post is several days old, but you are probably running lean on the idle/low speed . You can try to get a little richer by turning the "L" screw out (counterclockwise) 1/4 turn at a time, and check with each adjustment.
    I would also adjust the "H" screw out the same way until it four-cycles (slight burbling sound). When set correct, it should not four-cycle while cutting wide open, but will when it comes out of cut.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Bratan

Bratan Member

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a go next time I get to use the saw :)
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Is the Brake on ?

A California carb is fine. H is high speed. L is low speed.

You get 1 turn of adjustment.

Good Luck.