Air handler to duct connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
I recently noticed that one of the ducts came loose from air handler in the attic. It seems that duct tape was all that was holding it there. There's about an inch of collar sticking out (6.5" diameter), and I'm unable to reconnect duct back to it, cause it's soft and keeps slipping off. Is there some kind of adapter I can buy at hardware store to make connection? Duct itself seems to be about 7" diameter, does that sound right?

Attachments

• duct.jpg
    duct.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 342

Bratan

Reaction score
I figured it out. I didn't know that there were 2 layers of duct (inner and outer). Once i exposed inner duct I was able to slip it on easily. Now I need to get a nice long zip tie. Is there something better than duct tape to secure the seam?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make a metalized foil tape to seal ductwork. A big worm clamp may work out better than a zip tie to hold it in place since it is usually wider and you can tighten it easier. The adhesive on that stuff is permanent, or about as permanent as it gets.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Either a temperature rated heavy duty foil tape like Nashua 324A (available at box stores) or a temperature rated aluminum FSK tape with a paper backing should work. Cheaper no-name stuff with no temp ratings on the adhesives aren't likely to cut it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks