Search results

1. Netmouse

What I found on boiler warranties

I was trying to figure out why this and another forum is not answering my questions on purchasing extended boiler warranties. As mentioned the manufacturer will not sell an extended warranty direct to the customer but only through a vendor. I have since received replies to my inquiry from 2...
  2. Netmouse

boiler warranty pricing

HELP. More on my 1-year warranty on my boiler is ending. I thought you could buy a 5-year (or 10-year) extended warranty for boilers for about $200. About 15 years ago with my old boiler I paid a few hundred one time for this. Also, I see a price list on the internet for Burnham's warranty...
  3. Netmouse

boiler extended warranty

I had a residential Peerless 63 steam gas boiler installed a year ago November 2013. I could now purchase a 5 or 10 year extended warranty. They have no documentation or pricing info at their website, saying you have to get this from the local installer. Is such a warranty worth the money...
  4. Netmouse

The culprint of clogged pipe; Oatmeal

Well, this was a very expensive lesson learned. I'm sure all you experienced plumbers know this. My recent posts are about a clogged kitchen drain, now snaked and resolved. I had the garbage disposer removed, and with a new strainer I could see the cause of my expensive problem. About 4...
  5. Netmouse

water lines

I know one should replace rubber water hoses with metal. I did that to the connections to my toilets and on the washing machine. In the photo you can see the black water lines under my sink that go from the shut off valves up to the faucets in my kitchen. I tapped them and they are not rubber...
  6. Netmouse

new kitchen pipe slow draining

Here are photos of 1) new piping under the kitchen sink and 2) of the new opening in the sink. The opening really surprised me, as you can see there is only a small hole for water to drain. Is this normal? Could this be slowing draining from the sink? The disposer was removed because...
  7. Netmouse

Garbage disposal problem, or normal?

If there is a stream of water from the kitchen faucet, the disposal drains just fine. If I dump a pot of water it does not drain but acts clogged. If I turn the disposal on, it does drain out the water. If I run the dishwasher, the water draining from it backs up into the sink, even if I run...
  8. Netmouse

Dead leg

A plumber left two short "dead legs" when he cut pipes to the tankless coil that was removed when a hot water tank was installed. The attached image is of one. He put a cap on the end of the cut pipes, instead of removing the pipe back to the main pipe. It just seems lazy. I read a lot about...
  9. Netmouse

trial for ignition

I have a new gas steam boiler Peerless 63-03-SPRK-SP with spark ignition. The burner seems to have a continuous trial for ignition and keeps firing very frequently. The burner fires for 2 minutes about every 8 minutes. During the day there is no call for heat, the sun in windows raises the...
  10. Netmouse

Spot on advice about hot water tank

Hey, Dana - you were so right on your advice to me. THANK YOU. You picked up on the fact that my usage of hot water was low and pointed out that the standby loss cost was more important than the cost of fuel to heat water, and recommended I get an electric tank. I did have the Kenmore (made...
  11. Netmouse

pressure reducing valve

I've been pointed to the Watts 3/4" pressure reducing valve. What style is best? This will go in the main pipe where the water enters the house. My house pressure is 90. I see two styles that have a factory default of 50 psi at both Home Depot and Lowes -- FPT X FPT brass (LF25AUB-Z3). Or...
  12. Netmouse

sediment filter

The house water line has a psi of 96. A prior plumber simply shut the valve on the main water line half way. Do I need the expensive of buying a regulator as another plumber recommends? I also worry, besides an expense that might not be needed, is having another "thing" that might leak...
  13. Netmouse

Electric tank with dual watt lower element

Can you advise how the lower element should be set? The Kenmore tank (by AO Smith, State, I believe) says, "DualWattâ„¢ lower element easily converts from 3800 watt to 5500 watt to accommodate different wiring". My electrician installed the 220/240 line for this new install of the water...
  14. Netmouse

heat trap question

This forum supports using the "U" piping for a heat trap to keep hot water from migrating. I understand today's tanks are delivered with heat trap nipples, something Terry and others do not like as they can cause problems. I also believe I heard that if you remove the heat trap nipples from...
  15. Netmouse

HELP - 40 or 50 gallon tank

I'm about to order my hot water electric tank. My only real daily use is a shower. I have following concerns about having enough hot water for a shower, that may cool too fast. Per Rheme's training manual (I am buying Kenmore): 1. 40 gallon tank (38 short tank) has a calculated hot...
  16. Netmouse

wireless shut off of main valve

The main water pipe into my house is in the basement at the far corner. If I see a foot or two of water in my basement from the top of the stairs, I'd like a way to shut off the water from the top of the stairs. I see the following one brand of a wireless shut-off valve that can go...
  17. Netmouse

shut off tank when on vacation

My preference is to shut off a water heater and water when going away for a couple of days or more. Someone mentioned the cooling water would subject you to bacteria on your return. Would not turning the WH back on (say, set at 140 with a tempering valve) protect and "clean" your water in a...
  18. Netmouse

sump pump types or other decision

I have a basement with no floor drain. I want someway to protect from an (unlikely) rupture of the water tank. I will be seeing about having a Wags value on the tank, and put some little alarms on the floor and do maintenance properly. I also turn things off if I go away for a few days. But...
  19. Netmouse

Boiler and water shut off if leak

Is the following true? If an indirect tank or the boiler itself has a leak, would the incoming water will be stopped by the boiler's low water cut off? So NO FLOODING?
  20. Netmouse

HELP - Std electric tank versus indirect

Can we please revisit this? With low hot water usage, the thought was to get a standard electric tank because stand-by loss is best. But I'm hearing the following. I'm getting a new gas boiler. It will be cold start. I have low water usage. In summer, I read the boiler only fires up 1 or...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks