sump pump types or other decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
I have a basement with no floor drain. I want someway to protect from an (unlikely) rupture of the water tank. I will be seeing about having a Wags value on the tank, and put some little alarms on the floor and do maintenance properly. I also turn things off if I go away for a few days. But I have heard stories of overnight catastrophes, and want to avoid that - why we buy insurance.

Would a pedestal type sump pump (they are not that expensive) be able to sit on the concrete floor without a pit? Trying to avoid overkill and the expense of building a pit. My basement stays dry and gets no water from weather.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most sump pumps will not prime unless they are in a couple of inches of water, and the turn on switch point is not until about 6-8". I guess it depends on whether that would accomplish your goal.

Personally, I just use a water alarm and turn off the water when I leave. Tanks rarely fail, but things like washer hoses do.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A alarm is a good choice if you are at home and can hear it.

Just get one that floats, and test it with a wet paper-towel on occasion.

Good Luck

Reach4

Reaction score
Check with neighbors who are lower than you. See if they get any sewer backups. Your homeowners probably does not cover sewer or ground water in the basement, unless you have an endorsement to that effect.

The pump with the shallowest draw is a utility pump. They might pump down to 1/4 inch. http://www.shopping.com/utility-pump/products?CLT=SCH

Putting in a sump is not all that hard.

Netmouse

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did contact Flotec about their intellipump that tests for water and pumps if it senses any. Sounded easy, it just very simply sits on the basement concrete floor, no pit needed, and pumps out a garden hose that can be out a hole by my window (in the board with the dryer vent). But I questioned them about its testing for water every 2 1/2 minutes. Their reply is that this is not meant to run 7/24 every day, and they also mentioned the need to prime. So that idea is dead.

I agree with you guys. Turn the water tank off if you leave for vacation, and put a few little floating alarms around. I may investigate the one that phones you, but the ones I see say "discontinued" so I guess they failed. And stop over thinking and worrying. I am one who will maintain the tank. I turn the washing machine off after every use, and have metal hoses.

Netmouse

Reaction score
I also had two local plumbers say no to the WAGS valve that shuts off water if it sense a leak. Something about our hard water causes problems with them. They also said no to using a heat trap "U" configuration on the hot water pipe, saying that was more for larger tanks and commercial.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did contact Flotec about their intellipump that tests for water and pumps if it senses any. Sounded easy, it just very simply sits on the basement concrete floor, no pit needed, and pumps out a garden hose that can be out a hole by my window (in the board with the dryer vent). But I questioned them about its testing for water every 2 1/2 minutes. Their reply is that this is not meant to run 7/24 every day, and they also mentioned the need to prime. So that idea is dead.

The pump should not need to run 24/7

It will prime itself if the water level is above the inlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks