sediment filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
The house water line has a psi of 96. A prior plumber simply shut the valve on the main water line half way. Do I need the expensive of buying a regulator as another plumber recommends? I also worry, besides an expense that might not be needed, is having another "thing" that might leak.

Also, I am also thinking of a sediment filter. Sediment does not seem visible except at the bathroom faucet's flow restriction screen which collects a light coating of a white gritty paste over a couple of weeks, sometimes longer. I am on an old town water system. I have an Aquasana filter at the kitchen sink and the shower.

Are these worth buying? Are the inexpensive sediment containers like GE or Culligan at the big box stores OK? I read some crack and leak, or slow down the water flow rate. And changing a filter every 1 to 3 months sounds expensive.

Your thoughts?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. You need a pressure regulator valve (PRV). A PRV will bring your house pressure down to below 70. Turning the shut off valve half way is not the answer.

2. A whole house filter, like the ones you see at Lowes, are the minimum you need. They use filters that cost about $6. Is that expensive? I don't think so. And replacing a filter is an easy project for a DIYer. The stories about these filters (cracks, leaks) are probably from people who don't know how to install them. For them even changing a light bulb is an impossible task.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Partially closing a valve only reduces pressure and volume while you are using the water. As soon as you turn the faucet off the pressure goes back up and stays there until you run a faucet again. In other words, it does NOTHING to reduce the pressure or danger of a rupture. You need a pressure reducing valve and probably a hot water expansion tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks