Search results

1. Mckeand13

Flare fitting help

I'm planning on installing a gas insert but need help figuring out what fitting to pick up for the connection to the insert. I'll be running 1/2" soft copper to it, but the fitting required at the connection on the insert has me stumped. I can get more/better pics if that would be useful. The...
  2. Mckeand13

Check valve after tank tee? Why?

I’ve been shopping around for a new pressure tank (Well-X-Troll WX-202XL) and also looking at the tank tee packages offered by many distributors. I often see a check valve included in the tee package, which apparently is intended to be used on the “outlet” side of the tee servicing the home...
  3. Mckeand13

Cleaning resin tank?

I'm planning to swap out the resin in my softener tanks (9100) soon. It seems like there is a layer of iron, or at least orange, coating the inside of the tanks. Does anybody have a recommended method to clean the inside? Probably not necessary but that's just me. CLR and a new toilet brush...
  4. Mckeand13

Water help needed - Sulfur smell, bad taste, black sediment

Water help needed please. When we moved into the new house we quickly found out that the well water was absolutely terrible. It's got a submersible well pump and Challenger bladder tank. Not sure how deep or anything about the well really. I'm located in Orono, MN. I'm probably lacking a...
  5. Mckeand13

Is there a correct orientation for a pipe cutter on copper?

I've always seen a groove in one of the rollers on pipe cutters. What is this for? Does it have an orientation when placed on the pipe to cut (as in grooved roller on the side you're going to use)?
  6. Mckeand13

How can I store tanks with resin in them?

I've got a system that I won't be installing for a while. I don't really know when I will have the time so I need to store them for a while. I mixed us some brine in a bucket and filled them up. How long can I store them like that or is there a better method? Is it correct that they...
  7. Mckeand13

Pressure tank install questions

I'm going to replace my galvanized tank with a new fiberglass tank. 1) Is there any reason to put a union on the lines going in and out of the tank somewhere? The current tank doesn't have them, nor has it moved in 30 some years. I can't think of why I'd have to remove it other than...
  8. Mckeand13

SCH 80 PVC cement and primer question

I will be installing a new fiberglass pressure tank. The in/out connections are 1-1/4" socket weld PVC. I'm planning on gluing some sch80 1-¼ to ¾ NPT bushings in so I can make my connections with copper. Does sch80 gray PVC require any different primer & cement versus sch40 white? I've only...
  9. Mckeand13

Help choose a new frostproof wall hydrant.

I’m planning to replace two of my existing frost proof faucets due to the fact that they are 50 yrs old, leaking, and I can’t get them apart. Two choices I’ve looked at: Woodford Model 27 ($50) Prier 400 series ($20) Obviously a pretty big difference in price. The Woodford seems...
  10. Mckeand13

Check valve on pressure tank?

I've got a Wellmate SP-9 Hydropneumatic pressure tank to replace my older galvanized Hydropneumatic tank. The plumbing directions that came with the new tank state that a check valve should be installed before the inlet of the pressure tank before the pressure switch and other items. My...
  11. Mckeand13

Looking for specific PVC trap adapter

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for at Lowes, HD, or Ace. For the bathroom vanity drain, the existing plumbing has a rusty galvanized pipe nipple sticking out of the wall. They are an absolute bearcat to get out and I don't have enough room, nor the desire to. When I remodeled a...
  12. Mckeand13

What material to replace fascia boards with ?

My house is a 1958 ranch located in WI. Cold and hot weather. I'm going to have my roof & gutters replaced and I'd like to replace all of the fascia board at the same time. there are some edges here and there that are soft/rotted, and plenty of spots that need paint. Doesn't seem to make...
  13. Mckeand13

Sheetrock or Mold-Tough on bathroom ceiling and how thick?

I'm remodeling a bathroom in our house. Current ceiling is 3/8" sheetrock and 3/8" (plasterboard?) of plaster. There is also a soffit which I am taking down so it's easiest to remove the entire ceiling rather than match old with new. The bathroom is pretty small. I have to verify again...
  14. Mckeand13

Looking for hot water heater suggestions

I'm currently looking to replace my old hot water heater just due to the fact that it is old and I don't want to be replacing it when there is a problem. Two bathroom house. Myself and wife, no kids just yet but hopefully a couple of them soon. With 40gal we have never run out of hot water...
  15. Mckeand13

Need help with pressure tank - air volume control?

After being gone for the weekend I have a problem with my pressure tank. I always turn the well pump off when we leave for extended periods of time. Usually pressure is maintained in the system but I forgot to turn the humidifier off so it drained the system of all pressure. I flipped the...
  16. Mckeand13

Queston on replacing bathtub drum trap - questionable existing?

I'm interested in replacing the drum trap on my bathtub with a PVC trap. Was there a point in drum traps? I replaced one at my last house as well because it was all corroded and closed up. Anyway, take a look at the pictures. The tub drain comes down, elbows, and then goes into a brass "tee"...
  17. Mckeand13

How do I enlarge an existing hole through concrete block?

I've got a 1 1/4" galvanized pipe for my sump pump drain going through the concrete block in my basement. I just put a new, much larger pump in and I want to run 1.5" pcv out through the block. Aside from chiseling and patching, how can I enlarge the hole from the 1.75" it is now to 2" so...
  18. Mckeand13

How to secure pvc going through a wall?

I installed a new sump pump in my moms house recently. I had to make a hole through the outside wall to run the drain outside as there wasn't an existing hole. It's a split entry home so the block wall isn't very high. I had to go through the sheetrock and out through the siding with the 1.5"...
  19. Mckeand13

Looking for advice on venting

Below are some pictures (and a video) of my current basement plumbing. Not being a plumber, I don't know the proper venting or requirements. I'm looking for your help to lead me in the right direction. I can do the work. The current stack goes like this, from the floor up: It's 4" coming...
  20. Mckeand13

What do I use to plug this drain in my floor?

I just removed an old crappy shower stall that was in my basement. There was obviously a floor drain plumbed to it. I want to plug this hole. What do I use? It's 4" in diameter. The concrete is tapered towards that hole but I don't really care about that. I'm not going to patch it and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks