Help choose a new frostproof wall hydrant.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mckeand13, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

I’m planning to replace two of my existing frost proof faucets due to the fact that they are 50 yrs old, leaking, and I can’t get them apart.

Two choices I’ve looked at:
    Woodford Model 27 ($50)
    Prier 400 series ($20)

Obviously a pretty big difference in price. The Woodford seems to be nicer, heavier, and better built. Worth the extra $$ ? What would you do?

Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The plumbers here have mentioned the Woodford as being a good quality item. If you might have early frost, the Model 30 will drain even if you leave a hose on. And, if you really want some flexibility, one of their models can be plumbed with both hot and cold - nice for say washing the dog or car.