Sheetrock or Mold-Tough on bathroom ceiling and how thick?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by mckeand13, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

I'm remodeling a bathroom in our house. Current ceiling is 3/8" sheetrock and 3/8" (plasterboard?) of plaster. There is also a soffit which I am taking down so it's easiest to remove the entire ceiling rather than match old with new.

The bathroom is pretty small. I have to verify again, but if I remember correctly, rafters are 16" O.C.

My question is, should I use Mold-Tough (greenboard) or regular sheetrock on the ceiling. Is there any reason to use 1/2" or 5/8"? I'm thinking the Mold-Tough since the ceiling is always the steamiest in the room. I do have a fan.

Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Greenboard needs 12" support on a ceiling. 1/2" or 5/8" drywall is fine if you paint it well with a good paint. Use of an exhaust fan is recommended in any moist environment as well.
  3. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

The tech sheet from USG for the Mold-Tough shows a 24" O.C. max for both the 1/2" and 5/8" on a ceiling.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but see if you agree.

I couldn't upload the file as it's a bit too large. Just replace the asterisks with home depot and you'll get there.

http://www.*********.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Brand_Pages/Building_Supplies/USG/Docs/Mold_Tough.pdf
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Generic greenboard isn't as robust as this newer stuff appears to be. Regardless, if you use a ventilation fan and have a good coat of paint, regular drywall will work as well. A good coat of paint prevents the moisture from penetrating, and if that's the case, what's underneath doesn't matter. Mold takes three things: spores, moisture, and food. Pick the right paint and you can eliminate two of the three. The paper of the drywall could be food, but only if it gets wet.