Queston on replacing bathtub drum trap - questionable existing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I'm interested in replacing the drum trap on my bathtub with a PVC trap. Was there a point in drum traps? I replaced one at my last house as well because it was all corroded and closed up.

Anyway, take a look at the pictures. The tub drain comes down, elbows, and then goes into a brass "tee" with threads on each side. The one coming down just looks like it's got a piece of brass pipe shoved in there and sealed. It just doesn't look right.

Shouldn't some type of fitting come off the bottom of the tee, transition to pvc, and then continue on to the trap?

mckeand12_tub_trap_1.jpg

mckeand12_tub_trap_3.jpg

mckeand12_tub_trap_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Drum traps were used to catch stuff and cleaned out every now and then.
By all means replace it with a P-trap.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The trip waste looks fairly new, the standpipe looks like galvy..get ridda that, it'll rust closed before too long.
You should be able to loosen the desanco nut (slip nut) at the top of the standpipe, then cut the copper and take it all out.
Replacing with a p-trap should be a snap, just use a mission clamp from the copper to PVC.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There is supposed to be a "trap connector fitting", (it goes by many different names depending on which part of the country you live in), on the galvanized pipe and then the tubing slipped into it. When that was installed, (I never used green drum traps mine were always black), the did not have PVC and even if they did, inspectors would not have allowed switching from material to material for no good reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks