How to secure pvc going through a wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mckeand13, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

I installed a new sump pump in my moms house recently. I had to make a hole through the outside wall to run the drain outside as there wasn't an existing hole. It's a split entry home so the block wall isn't very high. I had to go through the sheetrock and out through the siding with the 1.5" pvc drain.

My question is, how do I secure that pipe somehow? I need a way to clamp it to the wall so it's not able to slide in and out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I'd use caulking or expandable foam in the 2 holes where the pipe enters and exits the wall.
  3. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

I need something more rigid. It's in a place where it could easily be bumped and there's no caulk in the world that's going to keep it from sliding. The fact that the check valve is a flexible rubber coupling makes it very easy to move as well.
  4. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

Just had a thought.

Screw a 2x4 across the studs that are running on either side of the pipe and just touching the bottom side of the pipe. I can then use a single or double sided clamp to hold the pipe.

Sound logical?
  5. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

While you are still messing with the piping...
    Get rid of the rubber check valve - replace it with a hard plastic one...(unless you don't care if your mom's place gets flooded when the check gives out and the sump starts spraying into the basement)
    For anchoring, you can use 2-hole straps and bracing as was suggested.
  6. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Try a suspension pipe clamp....
    PipeClamps

OK, for some reason the link keeps getting blocked. Do a search for suspension pipe clamps.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  7. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

Apparently this link isn't working. Can you spell it out or re-link?
  8. mckeand13

mckeand13 Engineer

Just wondering what you mean. Are you saying the rubber may crack/split/separate, or that the hose clamp would loosen up?

Couldn't you say the same about a fernco rubber coupler as well then?
  9. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Sent you a PM.