Check valve on pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I've got a Wellmate SP-9 Hydropneumatic pressure tank to replace my older galvanized Hydropneumatic tank.

The plumbing directions that came with the new tank state that a check valve should be installed before the inlet of the pressure tank before the pressure switch and other items.

My current galvanized tank does not have a check valve installed and is using the (I'm guessing) 50yr old plumbing. I also heard from a local (Milwaukee area) plumber that it is against code to have a check valve installed. If there were a problem with the line running from the well to the tank, it could allow leeching into the line since there would be no pressure.

That didn't quite make sense to me though as there would be a foot valve at the pump effectively checking the system correct?

I'll admit that I'm not real knowledgeable about these systems. Not sure what sort of device I have in the drop line letting air into the system if that makes a difference.

What is the correct way to install this tank?

Thanks.

http://www.wellmate.com/pdf/UT_HP_SPTank_Install.pdf

Attachments

• wellmate.jpg
    wellmate.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your system probably has the air bleeder and check valve in the well's drop pipe. No additional check valve is needed.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a submersible pump ( in the well) it probably has a check valve already on it. so you don't need one at the tank. Set your tank pressure 2lbs below the pressure switch cut in pressure with the pump and water pressure off they system.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
If you have a submersible pump ( in the well) it probably has a check valve already on it. so you don't need one at the tank. Set your tank pressure 2lbs below the pressure switch cut in pressure with the pump and water pressure off they system.

I can't set my pressure in the tank. The AVC takes care of the work.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If its worked for 50 years and your tank has got air in it and its not water logged, forget any more work, let it be. Probably your water has enough air in it naturally to keep the tank full - after 50 years your air intake and bleeder valves [if any] must be clogged up.

You can add air to your tank with an air compressor to add to the draw down amount if you are so inclined.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks