Cutting Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

msut

Reaction score
Hi Group,
If you have a minute and help, I would appreciate it. Anyway, I am going through a major renovation of my home and need to cut the cast iron septic drain and re-attach a new PVC pipe coming out of the house. My question is, what is an easy clean way to cut the cast iron (btw, I have dug it up to expose it).
Thank you for your time.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose a jigsaw or reciprocating saw might do the job, with the right blade.

My first choice would be to break out my Rotozip and use the metal cutoff wheel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rent a snapcutter; much quicker. Most blades will have a big hassle with CI.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
A $7 diamond blade from Harbor Freight and a $10 angle grinder is all I use to cut cast/copper/steel these days.

Does a great job and you don't have to worry about splinter cracking after the fact when you didn't know the cast iron was thinning out where you wanted to cut it.

I've had a wheeler snap cutter for 18 years and I'm tempted to sell it on **** since I never use it anymore. I think I paid $240 for it back in the day before prohibition.

Pinerider

Reaction score
If you're using an angle grinder, make sure you have room all the way around the pipe for it. I work in waterworks and we use Stihl quick cut saws all the time to cut cast iron. With underground piping, you need to make sure you can get the saw all the way around the pipe.(unless you have a big saw and a small diameter pipe)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
pinerider said:
I work in waterworks and we use Stihl quick cut saws all the time to cut cast iron.

That $1000 saw seems like overkill for this one-time application.

Pinerider

Reaction score
I was recommending the angle grinder, not suggesting going out and buying a cut saw. They are basically the same thing, a rotating disk that cuts the pipe. Our Stihl saw is just a large version of an angle grinder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks