Yard hydrant, Pressure relief valve leaking continuously.

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Morgan Montague, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Morgan Montague

Morgan Montague New Member

I had this PEX system installed in my yard about 11 years ago. I just turned on the outside water to it which was shut down for Winter back in November. It leaks continously when the hose hydrant handle is turned OFF. I suspect that this is a relief valve of some sort and that there should be something like a knurled knob where the water is squirting from? Am I correct in these assumptions? Also, who could I order a replacement from online? Thanks in advance good people

20200415_164224.jpg

20200415_164248.jpg .

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    If the plunger is bad those things just won't stop leaking. Probably going to need a new frost free hydrant, but they do make repair kits.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Those yard hydrants are designed for areas that freeze. The lower part is below ground, and the drain-back port discharges into some buried gravel.

You could just use a different hose bib with no drain-back, although that yard hydrant does give you a nice rugged mounting and can accept a padlock.

If you want to consider repair, look at the writing cast into the top.