Wrench For Stop Valve Crown Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I need to renew the stem packing for a toilet stop valve. Access and visibility are very limited. Is there a special stubby wrench or deep well socket that plumbers use in these circumstances? It seems to be 3/4" but I am not certain of this as wrench handle length is in the way. I am having to work behind me in the blind while sitting on the commode using right hand only. Also how many turns of graphite packing is recommended?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to renew the stem packing for a toilet stop valve. Access and visibility are very limited. Is there a special stubby wrench or deep well socket that plumbers use in these circumstances? It seems to be 3/4" but I am not certain of this as wrench handle length is in the way. I am having to work behind me in the blind while sitting on the commode using right hand only. Also how many turns of graphite packing is recommended?
Take pic not sure what you mean

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By the time you go and buy a special tool, you can probably just remove the offending valve and replace it.

Worst case, buy a new toilet supply line and a new wax seal, remove the toilet, then you should have all the room you need. It'a always a good idea to replace the hose if you're moving things around.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I was hoping someone had been there. Getting a good pic would be difficult, I'll just improvise. I'll determine size of crown nut by removing the handle and finding socket that fits. Then I'll either try a deep well socket or make a stubby wrench. I would have to remove the toilet to replace the valve.

It's hard to set a one piece toilet on a wax seal but I understand there is a replacement for wax seals now. I hope I can get by w/o removal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how strong you are...yes, a one-piece toilet weighs more, but many people install a 2-piece one with the tank already installed, and that can be even heavier.

While you ay be able to stop the leak by just snugging up the nut, depending on how old it is, the better bet would be to probably replace it with a 1/4 turn valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks