Would this vent configuration work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Del McMillen

Reaction score
I tried my best to interpret the local requirements but its still clear as mud to me.

Would this be a serviceable installation?

Slab on grade in FL.
index.php
YIA6jQd_d.jpg

Del McMillen

Reaction score
No part of a vent can be horizontal until it is at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest connected fixture.

I am going to assume you are refering to the horizontal branch leading from the toilet stub to the partition wall?

If so would removing it and relying in the vertical connection from the shower to vent it work?

The distance betwene the two is less than 2'.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You’ve been dogmatically repeating this false information for so long that others are starting to repeat it.

Do you even own a code book?

You might be right, but in every case there was no reason to use a horizontal vent. I think most would agree that installing dry vents on the horizontal is a practice that should be avoided due to the likelyhood of the vent becoming restricted when there is a backup in the system.

If you are doing a drain in the middle of a big room, then installing horizontal vents (using drainage fittings only) makes sense.

WI has it's own plumbing code, and has been largely paperless for over 10 years, so no, I don't have a code book. :)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am going to assume you are refering to the horizontal branch leading from the toilet stub to the partition wall

If so would removing it and relying in the vertical connection from the shower to vent it work?

The distance betwene the two is less than 2'.

You can come off the WC riser with a wye and maintain the 45 degree angle into the wall. Depending on what is going on with the walls, I am unsure why you are needing 2 stacks.
Use a wye instead of a tee to tie the stacks together. Leaves and debris entering the stack from outside can get hung up on the tee and rodding the line there would be problematic.
All stacks should have an accessible cleanout above the slab.

Stuff

Reaction score
You’ve been dogmatically repeating this false information for so long that others are starting to repeat it.
For us non-pros can you please share the code exceptions that allow horizontal dry vents? I guess island vents are one.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
For us non-pros can you please share the code exceptions that allow horizontal dry vents? I guess island vents are one.

Cacher_chick. Thank you for acknowledging that horizontal venting below flood rim is not a code violation. Yes, I agree that “continuous vent” vertical venting is a mechanically superior plumbing installation.

Stuff. The answer to your question is simple. Island venting is one exception to the horizontal rule, but because if the complexity of fittings involved and mistakes that commonly occur when installing island vents, it has its own code section.

Here is the answer. Venting must be installed as described by Casher_chick above “unless prohibited by structural conditions”. UPC 905.3 Vent Pipe Rise.

The vent connection is always below the overflow rim of the fixture, and sometimes significant portions of the vent must be horizontal. For example, the installation of a floor drain where the distance from a wall that might be used to place the drain’s vent exceeds the trap arm distance.

Tuesday 6/5/18, 3:10. Some poor poster, milu, asked how to vent a floor sink when the nearest wall is 10’ away. Nobody replied. It’s done all the time.

One last thing. On large jobs, condos or high rises, half the groundwork includes horizontal vents below flood rim, because the mat slab is a “structural condition” that prevents vertical venting.

Stuff

Reaction score
Venting must be installed as described by Casher_chick above “unless prohibited by structural conditions”. UPC 905.3 Vent Pipe Rise.

Thanks for the reference as that rule is clear - just an argument about what "structural conditions" are. My state falls under IRC and don't see those words in P3104. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section. Do you know if they have the equivalent hidden somewhere?

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the reference as that rule is clear - just an argument about what "structural conditions" are. My state falls under IRC and don't see those words in P3104. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section. Do you know if they have the equivalent hidden somewhere?

Don’t know IRC. Here we use UPC, superseded by state and then local amendments.

Structural conditions on larger jobs are generally limited to underground piping where mat slab, grade beam, or distances from walls prohibit continuous venting. Once out of the ground, it’s straight up because structural conditions that occur are likely architectural design flaws, so the AHJ can rightfully argue that a dropped ceiling, soffit or chase will correct the issue. Make it right.

Super markets, restaurants, and now marijuana grow houses can be challenging because there are numerous floor sinks and floor drains but very few partition walls available to place a drains vent.

Here, the “prohibited by structural conditions” argument must be presented to the Authority Having Juristiction. They have the final say.

If the plumbers work is clean, his reputation is established and he’s knowledgeable and able to communicate, horizontal vents below fixture floodrim will not even receive a second glance.

Del McMillen

Reaction score
Since my last post things have decided to change the layout of the shop and the bathroom layout.

Assuming that a 45* angle under the slab is not considered "horizontal" would this setup be acceptable?
Would the AAV for the sink be necessary? (sink is ~9' from vent)
Would a 22.5* angle under the slab in the same application (for future reference)?
ventme.png

Due to the the shop being built in a quonset hut I will be running the vent through the endwall rather than the roof. A vent adaptor for the arch panels is around 650$ and not worth the hassle in my mind. I intend to run the vent line horizontally through the floor joists of the loft, vertically to the peak, then horizontally through a non loadbearing partition wall and out the end wall.

Would this cleanout location work?

Vertical.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks