will soft copper supply lines last longer?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYNero

Reaction score
Hello, I own and maintain several properties. over the years i have gotten more and more serious about best practices for long term maintenance. Though I typically use braided supply lines for fixtures, i am wondering if i should be considering using flex copper with ferrules and compression fittings instead, as I suspect they last longer/less prone to failure. Is there a consensus on this matter in the trade?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We only use basic no-burst style name brand flex supplies. Happily gave up solid risers, but you do have a point if longevity is a goal. I wouldn't bother going back to solid.

gillrich

Reaction score
Copper pipes are less susceptible to degradation from chemicals or UV exposure compared to braided lines, potentially resulting in fewer failures over time. Compression fittings provide a secure connection without the need for soldering, which can simplify installation and reduce the risk of leaks. Check out anthony sylvan reviews on this site , those guys might give you more professional advice.

Last edited:

DIYNero

Reaction score
Copper pipes are less susceptible to degradation from chemicals or UV exposure compared to braided lines, potentially resulting in fewer failures over time. Compression fittings provide a secure connection without the need for soldering, which can simplify installation and reduce the risk of leaks. Check out anthony sylvan reviews on this site , those guys might give you more professional advice.

Is a good solder better than compression? i admit i do not mind compression for this purpose. a little pipe dope and they fail before they leak. maybe i need better valves ha

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Is a good solder better than compression? i admit i do not mind compression for this purpose. a little pipe dope and they fail before they leak. maybe i need better valves ha

Personally, I have never seen a compression fitting leak. I think the biggest problem with compression is that some folks over tighten them the first time - they don't leak as originally installed but a subsequent repair might be difficult to seal if the copper is badly ringed.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I fixed many a leaky supply line on old school toilet, lav , and sink risers. Yea Im sure if you spend enough labor and material you can come up with less leaks , Besure to have only the best of the best plumbers on staff as well. If you want a good tip instruct maitenance crew to never use a flex hose twice toss it at every time its disconnected and dont use lines that have plastic nuts. I dont even see many leaks on these anymore none of them are mine they are very old or very old and poorly installed every time. But reusing 10 year old lines is where the issues come into play . Another basic tip is shelf life I dont know how much I trust lines that are stored many years

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I stopped using solid / copper supply tubes in '97 when I got a bunch of leaks that I think were associated with peeling chrome plating. Started using name brand braided flexible supply lines ever since and will never go back to solid for general purpose use.

That being said. I see plenty of really old solid risers and plenty of really old flexible risers. As mentioned above, if installed properly and not disturbed either will work fine for years.. decades. Both are susceptible to being over tightened. Over tightening a solid riser crushes the ferrule into the tube too far which distorts the sealing surface. Over tightening a flexible line will crush the sealing gasket and often splits it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Personally, I have never seen a compression fitting leak. I think the biggest problem with compression is that some folks over tighten them the first time - they don't leak as originally installed but a subsequent repair might be difficult to seal if the copper is badly ringed.
I think it more likely that the new user under-tightens.

If you need to repair, I expect you can often leave the ferrule and nut in place. Or cut the copper back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks