Why would I lose 3-5 lbs of pressure at cut off?

Users who are viewing this thread

crombienator

Reaction score
Had a new pump installed. Maintenanced the well tank. Everything is seemingly working properly. I was doing a measurement of my gpm and noticed that my pressure gauge drops 3-5 lbs at cut off. It stabilizes there, and doesn't keep leaking. Normal? What gives?

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope normal. I saw something like that on mine. I decided to record my digital pressure gauge as an AVI. In it I could hear the pressure switch open, and that marks about time zero on the graph. I graphed the pressure displayed on the gauge by looking at the AVI frames. Here is the graph.
index.php

What gives? My first thought was the check valve taking a while to seat, but I now suspect that the diaphragm takes a bit of time to relax. It seems too smooth to be a check valve getting seated.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bladder in the tank could be dragging a little. After the pump shuts off the bladder relaxes and allows the tank to accect a little more volume, which lowers the pressure. It is not a normal thing to see. Normally if you have an 80 gallon tank, a loss of 4 PSI means 4 gallons of water got out somehow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks