Why is my well pump pressure tank losing pressure when not using water?

Users who are viewing this thread

mick04u

Reaction score
I recently had a well and irrigation installed. My well depth is 75’ and I have a 1 H.P. Sta-Rite deep well jet pump (SLE-L) and a 2 gallon pressure tank. The pressure is set to cycle on at 40 and off at 60 psi. I’ve noticed that the pressure drops when I’m not running water. It drops about 5 psi every 2 hours. The pump kicks on for a few seconds once it gets below 40 psi.
Is it normal for the pressure tank to lose pressure when not in use? I would assume there’s a leak somewhere in the pipes to cause the pressure to drop, but the company that installed my irrigation said it’s normal for a deep well pump to cycle 1-2 times every 24 hours to maintain pressure. Is this true? If not, what else could be causing it other than a leak in the pipes?

Reach4

Reaction score
Close the valve between the pressure tank and the irrigation. If that stops the pressure drop, the leak is toward the irrigation load. If not, the leak is the foot valve down the well below the jet (more probable) or a water leak in a pipe on the way.
index.php

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not normal provided the pressure is stored in a pressure tank. On a tankless system, it would only require a teaspoon of water to leak out to lose pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 2.2 gallon tank you will have to leaf about 1/2 gallon before the pump comes on. And no the pressure should not leak down unless you use water. And no it is not normal for a pump to come on once or twice a day to keep the pressure up.

mick04u

Reaction score
8F54EA0A-99E1-4469-AF41-6D7FCF931494.jpeg
I have a deep well / single pipe system. I closed the valve between the pressure tank and the irrigation load and it continued to drop. The irrigation installer said it’s normal for some water leakage through the cup leathers and I shouldn’t be concerned with it cycling once every 24 hours.
Should I be concerned with that little pressure loss or is it okay as long as it doesn’t get worse?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would say 24 hours is plenty OK. I am not a pro.

mick04u

Reaction score
It’s actually losing about 2-3 psi every 2 hours, so it cycles twice every 24 hours. Is it an easy task for the irrigation installer to remove the foot valve and reseat? He keeps saying it’s normal for the cup leathers to leak slightly, so he doesn’t seem to want to do it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose that would cost $600? Easy enough for you? The landscape person may call in a well person to do that.

My guess could be off either way. I am not a pro.

Is the well buried under the rocks, or is it in a more-accessible spot?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Cycling the pump a couple times a day isn't going to hurt anything. But a leak will usually get worse. Sometimes it is where the leathers are seated that is the problem. Raising them up or down a little will put them in a different place in the pipe where they may seal better. When the leak gets worse the number of cycles will get worse as well.

mick04u

Reaction score
Suppose that would cost $600? Easy enough for you? The landscape person may call in a well person to do that.

My guess could be off either way. I am not a pro.

Is the well buried under the rocks, or is it in a more-accessible spot?
It’s in a more accessible spot....in the middle of the yard.

mick04u

Reaction score
Cycling the pump a couple times a day isn't going to hurt anything. But a leak will usually get worse. Sometimes it is where the leathers are seated that is the problem. Raising them up or down a little will put them in a different place in the pipe where they may seal better. When the leak gets worse the number of cycles will get worse as well.
The irrigation installer said he will pull out the packer and inspect/replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks