Whole house water softener+filtration - reasonable?

Users who are viewing this thread

N6GQ

Reaction score
Hey all, wondering if I can pick your collective brains.

I would like a whole house softener and filter. Hardness is about 7 gpg and chlorines and chloramines are about 4ppm. I would like to DIY it myself but I'm going through cancer treatment and that's not a very realistic option.

So I've been calling local companies in the Fort Worth, TX area looking for someone to install a simple system, Clack or Fleck valve on top of some resin and catalytic carbon. Most estimates are between $4 and 6k for this "simple" system.

I'm thinking it shouldn't be more than about $2500. Am I way off base here?

N6GQ

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the installation location? Do you have a water treatment loop?
Don't have a pic - but there are a couple proposed locations, one is outside within a wooden insulated box where the main is as well as a drain in the same area. No loop currently in place.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I used to install over 200 units per year. Some installations could cost as little as a few hundred dollars, other installations would exceed several thousand dollars not including the equipment.

Without knowing what the installation involves a price can not be commented on. If the install is 2 guys for 8 hours with $900 in material... then the price would seem very reasonable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks