Need advice on a whole-house water filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadetlady

Reaction score
I have recently moved from CA to TX, and need to install a whole-house water filtration system on our new home. I actually need two, because my parents are moving too and want one in their home.
We are in North Texas - Irving to be exact - and my dad got a hold of a company who wants to sell him what they're calling a "2k" product for $3695 (excluding installation), and for us, a "3k" product for $4195. My guess is this is the volume it can handle. He has a 4000 sq ft house (roughly) with 4 bathrooms; ours is 6500 sq ft with 6 bathrooms.
My dad wants to buy these in CA and transport them in the moving truck (on Tuesday of next week) to TX and then find someone to install them. I don't think this is a good idea. The product brand is WATERBOY.
Can anyone give me some quick insight as to whether it's best for him to make this purchase and then deal with finding an installer once he arrives, or if this pricing is out of line? I've tried calling a few local companies but haven't had a return call from anyone yet. I did get a quote from a company yesterday while they were quoting me on A/C replacement and water heater replacements, and their quote was roughly $5000 for a filtration unit (carbon) and another $3000 for an "anti-descale" device - but I know they're overpriced because they were overpriced on the A/C unit.
Or ... if there's anyone on this board who offers services in the DFW area ... I need hands-on help lol

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to get a lab water test.

anti-descale" device sounds like the kind of thing that I suspect would be a hoax.

Gadetlady

Reaction score
You want to get a lab water test.

anti-descale" device sounds like the kind of thing that I suspect would be a hoax.
We did get a test and we definitely need a filtration and softener system. I don't remember the results but North TX is known for hard water and also for poor water.

Reach4

Reaction score
People don't usually memorize the test results, but they get a result on paper or in a file.

Iron, manganese, pH, hardness, arsenic are the common things to treat for that the report should list. You may also treat for H2S (hydrogen sulfide). Most lab tests don't give a number on that, but the human nose is fairly sensitive to this "rotten eggs" smell. Corrosively is another useful number that is also reported, although that can be deduced with the other data I think.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks