Which toilet (2019)

Users who are viewing this thread

GizzyGone

Reaction score
I’m looking to replace a toilet with broken ceramic.

I’ve been researching all over the internet, including here.... and now I have a migraine with all of the information.

I don’t want to spend a small fortune; I just want a good toilet that is comfortable, and takes my waste far away from my home. Being able to repair the flush valve down the road with off the shelf parts is ideal. Being able to hold up to my wife’s cleaning is a must also. If I can save some water while flushing, I’ll be happy: but if I need to flush a 1 gallon toilet twice, but a 1.6 gallon toilet once, there’s no sense in going overboard...

I know Toto has been a favorite here (but most of those posts were from years back). it seems AS has come along fairly well though?

So let’s leave it at this: if you needed to put in a toilet, with a budget of about $400, what would you install?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO Drake II, CST454CEFG

I also install American Standard, but the Cadet series doesn't work as well as the TOTO line, and I don't care for the Champion models.
Sometimes I will have customers that decide to get a Champion after they've had TOTO, thinking that the two guys writing about products at CR know better than a plumber, and guess what? I wind up pulling the Champions and replacing them with TOTO anyway.

Even the 1 gallon version works well. This is the 1.28 here.

cst454-chris.jpg

GizzyGone

Reaction score
TOTO Drake II, CST454CEFG

I also install American Standard, but the Cadet series doesn't work as well as the TOTO line, and I don't care for the Champion models.
Sometimes I will have customers that decide to get a Champion after they've had TOTO, thinking that the two guys writing about products at CR know better than a plumber, and guess what? I wind up pulling the Champions and replacing them with TOTO anyway.

Even the 1 gallon version works well. This is the 1.28 here.

cst454-chris.jpg
Would you put the 1gallon in your home? Or 1.28?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I was getting the rebate I would spring for the 1G. I have the 1.28 now. If you want to flush with more you can hold the handle and drop more water from the tank. You do need to at least flush with something each time to prevent salt deposits from building up in the line and the inner passageways of the bowl.

GizzyGone

Reaction score
If I was getting the rebate I would spring for the 1G. I have the 1.28 now. If you want to flush with more you can hold the handle and drop more water from the tank. You do need to at least flush with something each time to prevent salt deposits from building up in the line and the inner passageways of the bowl.
I’m confused by your last sentence? You have to flush with something each time?

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m confused by your last sentence? You have to flush with something each time?
I think he is saying that you should not follow the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" saying.

GizzyGone

Reaction score
I think he is saying that you should not follow the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" saying.
ah; never really lived by that mantra.

So Drake II, 1gpf is the way to go: because you can always hold the handle longer?

Are Toto internals standard? (IE could I repair it with a standard Korky kit? Or do they have a proprietary design, like kohler? Or do I not need to worry about totos?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks