Which fitting? Backflow prevention?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mculik5

Reaction score
Renovating my second-floor hall bath/laundry room. Will be installing a floor drain as extra protection against washing machine leaks and catastrophic failures.

The plan is to tap into the existing washing machine drain pipe. The drain will include a trap primer.

Attached is a rough picture. Blue is framing, red is existing drain line, black is what I plan to add. Questions below the picture.

floor_drain.png

Three questions:

1. Anything wrong with this approach?
2. What fitting should I use to tap into the existing drain pipe? Wye, tee, or sani-tee?
3. Do I need to worry about backflow prevention? If so, what do you use?

On the backflow prevention point, I have two concerns that I'm not sure are realistic:

- If the drain pipes downstream of this room back up, I don't want dirty water flooding the floor. Eventually, the water will overflow the washing machine standpipe, so not sure if this is a valid concern, but still...
- If the washing machine pumps water out so quickly as to temporarily flood the drain pipe above floor level, I don't want the water to flood the floor.

Thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks