Whether to use a booster?

Users who are viewing this thread

NMPastor

Reaction score
We live at the end of the line at the top of a ridge. Delivery to our home is at about 40-44 psi.

I am considering putting a booster at the inlet to the house, in a pantry/closet. The potential problem is that virtually all of the boosters I see have a maximum inlet pressure of 40-44 psi. That may make anything I put in place just a piece of artwork.

Any thoughts on a direction to go?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
you're looking for what looks like a submersible pump end attached to a jet pump motor. something like this..
37540.jpg

i think i have 4-5 of the 10gpm 1/2hp berkeleys sitting in my shop collecting dust.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most jet pumps like Goulds or Sta-Rite/Berkeley have a 125 PSI seal. So if the max pressure of the pump is 80 PSI you can have as much as 45 PSI coming in and still stay below the 125 PSI seal rating. Or you can use a pressure reducing valve on the incoming line and reduce the pressure going into the pump as needed.

You will need some kind of control no matter which type pump you choose. A CSV as comes in the complete Pside-Kick kit will deliver city like constant pressure, just at the higher pressure you set it up to work at.

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Delivery to our home is at about 40-44 psi.

...all of the boosters I see have a maximum inlet pressure of 40-44 psi.

That may make anything I put in place just a piece of artwork.
I don't get the "artwork" comment. City pressure of 40-44 PSI on the inlet of the pump plus the "boost" of 60-80 PSI from the pump will result in 100-124 PSI on the outlet side.

As valveman said, choose a quality pump that can take the pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even though the pump can build an additional 80 PSI on top of the incoming pressure of 40 PSI, a CSV would hold the house pressure to a steady 60 or 70 PSI if that is what the CSV is set for. But when the CSV is doing that, the pump case could have 125 PSI, which is why you need a pump with a seal rated for at least 125 PSI.

NMPastor

Reaction score
Artwork

I have made the assumption, perhaps faulty, that if inlet pressure exceeds a certain level the pump won't run. If it won't run, then is just sits and is another piece of modern industrial art in my house.

I don't get the "artwork" comment. City pressure of 40-44 PSI on the inlet of the pump plus the "boost" of 60-80 PSI from the pump will result in 100-124 PSI on the outlet side.

As valveman said, choose a quality pump that can take the pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is the way most boosters are set up. If there is enough city pressure, you don't want the pump to come on. Only when the city pressure is low will the booster come on, which is the way you want it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have made the assumption, perhaps faulty, that if inlet pressure exceeds a certain level the pump won't run...

The pressure range will depend on what you use for a booster. Many boosters work on a flow sensor and come on when water is used. Those often provide about 40 PSI of boost, assuming of course that the inlet pressure is below the max threshold.

Others work on a pressure switch. If the city pressure is 40-44 and you have the booster set to 60/80, then the booster will run anytime the pressure drops below 60 PSI. That is what valveman is proposing with a jet pump/PSIde-kick combo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks