Pressure switch for booster pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Creuzy

Reaction score
I'm replacing the pump stack on a booster pump that was damaged from running dry. In order to hopefully prevent this from happening again, I'm wanting to put in a pressure switch. But I don't know what I am looking for to make sure I get something that will work. I need a switch that will turn the pump on when there is flow through it and will turn it off when the flow stops. The pump is basically used as a pressure washer so is there a way to keep the pump from cycling off if the sprayer is stopped for short amounts of time? Would a normal pump shutoff switch of 30/50 or 40/60 work in a situation like this - placed on the line leading directly to the pump? Or are there switch specifically made for something like this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
All you need is a Cycle Sensor to protect the pump from running dry.

A Cycle Stop Valve and a small pressure tank will work like a mechanical timer, keeping the pump running for a minute or two before the tank is full and the pump shuts off.

Creuzy

Reaction score
No pressure switch will protect the pump. They energize the pump when pressure drops. A flow switch would work. Zero flow off flow 2gpm on. Need a contactor and a waterproof box to make a flow switch work.Need a diagram? Can draw one.
A diagram would be great.

And now that I am thinking about it more, I don't think the booster pump was run dry but was damaged by running with no water flowing through it. So I don't think a pressure tank would help anything in this case. And while I was a bit worried about cycling the pump on and off anytime someone stops spraying - I think the amount of cycling would be minimal and not in rapid succession. So I think it best if the booster shuts off pretty quickly after the flow stops.

Thanks for the responses.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Flow switches are not reliable. Best and easiest to protect the pump sensing low amps like the Cycle Sensor. A pressure switch without a pressure tank is not a good idea as it will cause pump cycling as fast as machine gun fire.

The PK1A will control the pump and make it come on when water is used and off when taps are closed. The Cycle Sensor will shut the pump down if it runs dry or rapid cycles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks