Where can I learn more besides this forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulTheBall

Reaction score
I just got a job as a well/pump tech, and I love it. The problem is my "trainer" isn't very good, and I want to learn more. I just found this forum and it has taught me a lot, but I want to see if I can find a book or YouTube videos or something that can teach me even more. Can anyone recomend anything?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you know he isn't very good? He may be holding back because he's been through too many guys that can't learn....

PaulTheBall

Reaction score
How do you know he isn't very good? He may be holding back because he's been through too many guys that can't learn....

Because he constantly complains about how much he hates his job, because he has been doing this less than a year (long story on that one,) because he never explains what he is doing or why he is doing it, so I am constantly bothering him with questions (which he doesn't like,) because I know just enough to know that I don't know enough, and I'm not even sure what questions to be asking, because when someone ask me a question I want to be able to give them an honest answer.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would download the Franklin AIM manual, and read through that.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the pump contracor you work for a member of the CWWCA or the NGWA? The CWWCA has a continuing education program and a voluntary apprenticeship program. The NGWA has the annual convention. It will be in Nashville this December. Also look at their bookstore for books related to pump installation. You might want the WQA pump manual.

Your pump distributor offers classes, usually in the wintertime. A number of the pump manufacturers also have on-line courses.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I take it your "trainer" doesn't own the company. Talk to your boss. Tell him or her, even though you've just started, you want to learn all you can.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'll bet I have trained a thousand people over the years. My time was wasted on most of those as they just quit and walk away. They usually say "pump work is just too hard. Nobody in their right mind would do that for a living." However, some of those stayed years and learned a lot. But you have to be careful who you teach and how much, because they will quit you and start their own business. Unfortunately that is how most of my competition got trained. They will even call your customers and tell them "they no longer work for Cary". They now have their own pump business and will beat Cary's prices, which they also studied. So most pump guys will only teach you as little as they have to.

I use to teach classes at the NGWA, and several state and local venues. But you have to be careful there too. Most of those classes are taught by the pump manufacturers. They will only teach you how to sell their stuff. Most of those classes are given to the companies that do the most advertising in the magazine. You can get a few generic classes on rules, regulations, and that kind of stuff. But most are just product training classes designed to show you why their products are better than the next guys. And most of those "teachers" know less than you do.

Most things a pump man knows are learned the hard way. Try something that doesn't work, so you don't do it that way again. It really takes a lifetime to accumulate the knowledge. I helped with my first water well in 1968, and I still learn something new everyday. The best way is to work for a "good" pump man for several years, and do the Vulcan Mind Meld thing on him everyday.

I commend you on your desire to learn about pumps. The Internet is a wonderful tool. It wasn't available when I was learning. Just be careful to read past the "fluff" and question everything you read. There are also a few good books like Boyce mentioned. But the best way is just get out there and do it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because he constantly complains about how much he hates his job, because he has been doing this less than a year (long story on that one,) because he never explains what he is doing or why he is doing it, so I am constantly bothering him with questions (which he doesn't like,) because I know just enough to know that I don't know enough, and I'm not even sure what questions to be asking, because when someone ask me a question I want to be able to give them an honest answer.

A guy who has been in the business less than a year probably isn't going to able to teach you much, you don't learn diagnostics, salesmanship, pricing etc in 1 year, or 2 or even 3 years. I've been in the business since I was 13, steadily employed in the business the last 30 years and on my own almost 8 years. I learn something new everyday. If I were you, I'd find a good solid company and get on their apprentice program. You'll do everything the other guys don't want to, but you will learn a lot in the meantime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks