What Kind of Valve is This in the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucky Pierre

Reaction score
Valve on right side is on my water supply line. Anyone know what it is? Thanks

127A9874-46E7-4ED5-9B4E-4EFB945D25BE.jpeg

Lucky Pierre

Reaction score

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any idea where that pipe goes to? Does it go to the house? We had one post a few years ago where when the irrigation was on (city water), it actually sucked water from the house. When someone was using the shower and the irrigation turned on, the water flow stopped and air could be heard being sucked into the shower head. Might be something similar to prevent water from reversing direction after the tee. As Terry wrote, a proper backflow device is always needed with an irrigation system when tied to a domestic water source.

Lucky Pierre

Reaction score
Any idea where that pipe goes to? Does it go to the house? We had one post a few years ago where when the irrigation was on (city water), it actually sucked water from the house. When someone was using the shower and the irrigation turned on, the water flow stopped and air could be heard being sucked into the shower head. Might be something similar to prevent water from reversing direction after the tee. As Terry wrote, a proper backflow device is always needed with an irrigation system when tied to a domestic water source.

Thanks WF! The situation you describe is how mine was installed though haven’t experienced the back flow situation you describe. The right side goes to house, left comes from meter, and tee goes to irrigation. According to the plumber I hired, what Terry called a check valve was actually the shut off valve to the house. The plumber described it as an old valve and that on this type of valve the part on top that received the key frequently broke making it useless. Which is apparently why there was no access tube to it when I dug it out—see photos. I Googled ‘Healey’ and didn’t see much (out of business?) and certainly nothing like my valve.

C3DA46F3-4291-47A9-8298-C2068D717147.jpeg
3E8F7247-EB4E-49CC-BBCB-571CACEA9EFF.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old Stop and Waste valve. When closed it was supposed to drain and depressurize the house side. Its considered a cross contamination so its good that its been removed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old Stop and Waste valve. When closed it was supposed to drain and depressurize the house side. Its considered a cross contamination so its good that its been removed.
I put stop and wastes in for irrigation 26 years ago one and only time Id ever seen them . I don't get out much ha ha.
Good point absolutely is a cross connection. Only guess is it wasn't used anyway might want to put a ball valve down there and add a tee with a removeable plug upstream to drain down system if he has a need

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks