What is an Evaporation Control ? - Is your shower's flood test leaking or not?

What is an Evaporation Control ? - Is your shower's flood test leaking or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
johnfrwhipple submitted a new resource:

What is an Evaporation Control ? - Is your shower's flood test leaking or not? - The only way to measure evaporation in your shower's flood test is with an Evaporation Control.

A simple site build rig that measures the rate of evaporation. Some pointers to help you set this right.

whipple-pink.jpg

The coin shows the key step to the evaporation control. It is measuring the water level in this shower flood test.

Anything can help set the control. A baking dish, an old tool box - something water tight. I like to tip the stack of coins the same way in the evaporation control...​

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The tipped coin technique.

Using a tip coin was my way of breaking the surface tension water has. The coin is tipped so the water rests across the center of it. A simple set to measure the water level very precisely.

whipple-pink.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It is important when working with Kerdi, Kerdi DS, Hydro Ban Sheet membrane, NobleSeal CIS or TS to plan on capillary breaks.

You can see the use of Ardex 8+9 here in this photo as a capillary break. Had I followed Schluter's install methods for this low curb shower we would have had water wicking up and over the curb giving use a false read.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks