Flood Test for Barrier Free (Hobless or No Dam) Shower / Wet Room

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I've been studying the ASTM procedure guidelines for barrier free showers. One important note is that the max height of the water test should be 4".....

I love how the guideline says something about following manufactures recommendations. Yet the manufactures don't have any.

Do what they say. But they say nothing.

The endless round and round....

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Look at it like '' there is never a dead end '' or '' black and white '' ........ politically correct .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Look at it like '' there is never a dead end '' or '' black and white '' ........ politically correct .

Here is A John Whipple Inspired shower build under flood test.............And the link you have been waiting for JIM..... XOXO -counter
Nobleseal shower pan flood test.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I like the '' not wet '' look of the waterproofing membrane you have there RSCB . :)

Thx..... Roberto.....By monday it could be all dried up !!! Good thing theres an unfinished room w/ basement slab and drain just below!!!!!! A secondary system if you will!

Have i any confidence left after my 255 debacle!!!!!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Shower Flood Tests. LOVE IT.

Thanks for sharing RSCB. That is a great combo. NobleSeal TS and Ardex 8+9. One of my favourite approaches to shower construction.....

How long are you going to leave it. Sometimes our flood test have gone on over a week but in my reading of the ASTM procedures it does say that 72 hours is MAX.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Shower Flood Tests. LOVE IT.

Thanks for sharing RSCB. That is a great combo. NobleSeal TS and Ardex 8+9. One of my favourite approaches to shower construction.....

How long are you going to leave it. Sometimes our flood test have gone on over a week but in my reading of the ASTM procedures it does say that 72 hours is MAX.

friday AM I left the site. Hope to get there monday end day...maybe over 72 hrs. Now that means im in trouble with ASTM standards for over extending my flood test !!!!!! LOL

I am sure there is a bunch of non-builders in an office payed for by membership fees of tile men and women under the guise of standardization. They likely have never tiled a backsplash but are making new rules as we break our backs in the field.......

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The ASTM rules are very easy to follow. One of the five specified methods of making a temporary dam involves poly and tuck tape. Some sand bags, plywood and 2"x4" 's.

I called Mapei and asked for their recommendations. If they where online. The rep suggested I call the city and ask what they wanted.

Another one of the ASTM temporary dams references making a dam that can be cut away. You know - kinda like the way I've been showing now for three years....

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
The ASTM rules are very easy to follow.

Maybe if you can afford them LOL." The shoemaker has no shoes" my new favorite saying...SO TRUE.

John the 80/20 rule is great. although in my case more like 60/40......

This pan passed 3 days and my client and I both verified the measurent in real time. the secondary test seemed to have lost more water at 1/16" 0ver three days, the tupperware was close to the open window??? !
IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG
waterproof tile shower minnesota.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
RSCB your evaporation control would ideally be the exact same size as the shower. This is of course silly so the largest dish with low sides is key. If the evaporation control was closer to a window that can speed up the evaporation.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
RSCB , is it possible that the measuring device is not aligned in the same way -- before and after -- ? It looks like a drop of 3/16 in between . Quite a lot , I would say for a 3 day period .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I think I've misread the water levels in your pictures RSCB . It looks even less than 1/16. My bad .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
RSCB , is it possible that the measuring device is not aligned in the same way -- before and after -- ? It looks like a drop of 3/16 in between . Quite a lot , I would say for a 3 day period .

Are you seeing clearly !!! LOL im not seeing 3/16" OOPS Now i just saw your update...MY BAD !!!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
One time the clients dog drank from my evaporation control....

Funny John, I always tell people beforehand of the myriad of ways in which we can get a misreading......Usually dogs but, she has 2 cats, the minute I filled the pan the cat was in their loooking at the new pool.......

I think it was the window and wind for 3 days.......

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Just got a pictures sent to me from a client in Altlanta. He just passed a 48 hour flood test. Said sorry to me for skipping a day! Love it.

He used Noble's Chloraloy liner and is building a steam shower now coming on 14 months I think.

Slow and steady.......

All the pros do it. Even the DIYers who struggle finding pros who will do it.

I have another client in Ontario who has had over five tile pros show up to quote his steam shower. Not one would flood test the shower. I have been walking him through the process for almost two years. He is going to fly me out for a 2 day work party. After all this time he's like and old friend.

I never should have told him my floors are not done. Now when I chirp him for taking so long he asks how my floors are coming along. Twoshay.....

Last edited by a moderator:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Stacked coins do read pretty well.....nice.... Maybe Atlanta will share more details and pics of the buildout.

Certainly some great material choices. 14 months!!!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A lot of my clients RSCB are so tired of tile hacks showing up to quote these projects. This fellow as well tried 2-3 times and found not one person in Atlanta qualified to build a steam shower.

I have been helping him off and on. First with the design. Then the glass layout. Tile layout etc. Once we had a design we picked a system. Off course Noble Company's approach was chosen.

To give my client extra support I hooked him up with Eric and Richard as well. Kind of been a tag team approach. He ordered all his materials from the Noble Company online store and got it shipped to his home for $5.00.

It's sad when a homeowner building his first project puts 98% of the tile men to shame.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks