What is a six-unit trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle_Steve

Reaction score
I'm remodeling and adding a second floor bathroom. King County (Seattle) plumbing code says that a 3" stack can accommodate 48 DFUs, which is more than enough for me. However, there is a footnote that states:

"Only four water closets or six-unit traps allowed on any vertical pipe or stack..."

I only have 2 toilets connected to the stack. But I'm confused by "six-unit traps". At first I was reading this as limiting you to "six trap arms" connected to the stack (which would be more than I have planned to connect to the stack -- if you count the toilets). But, now I'm thinking that a "six-unit trap" is something else altogether (like a 4" trap?) and hopefully I don't have to worry about it. Google wasn't much help so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone?

Here's the reference (see footnote "d"):
http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/plumbing/unitvalues.aspx

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A six-unit trap is a 3" trap.
Your shower uses a 2" 4-unit trap.

Size of Trap and Trap Arm, Drainage Fixture Unit Values (DFU)

702.1 for Maximum sizing.

1-1/4" 1 unit
1-1/2" 3 units
2" 4 units
3" 6 units
4" 8 units

From Table 7-3 of the 2009 UPC

Last edited:

Seattle_Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Terry. But I'm still a bit confused, because the first table on the King County page I referenced lists a toilet as 3 units and a shower as 2. What am I missing?

Is there a difference between "fixture units" (which the King County page is defining) and "trap units"? If so, I appreciate the values you provided, but does King County have that documented somewhere? Or is it just in the UPC?

Thanks.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't know why you're making this so confusing for yourself.

There is no unit-trap, no six-trap, no whatever else. Only fixture units.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The chart comes from the 2009 UPC Code book that Washington State uses.
I don't know if Canada uses code books, but since the homeowner is Seattle_Steve and has listed the King County web site for information, this will be good information.

You don't have any 3" p-traps in your home, so I wouldn't worry about it. You normally only see a 3" trap in a commercial situation.
These are max limits for the trap sizes.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What they are saying is that toilets and showers are "excpetions" to the general rule. They are a larger trap, but with typical volume much less than an application using a 2", or 3", trap in a "regular" way. Just for example, a washing machine places a much bigger load on a 2" trap than does a shower. A shower, nominally, delivers 2.5 gallons per minute. A washing machine can potentiall deliver 10 times that amount

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks