Wet Venting, Plumber Made Mistake, Opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes...a low spot in the waste line that can cause problems over time by allowing a build up that will cause a stoppage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

IF a trap is going to siphon, it will happen regardless of how "DEEP" the seal is, unless it is 27' deep. Two things can siphon a trap. A pipe full of water as it empties, (and the trap has to be higher than the pipe), and/or high velocity water past an opening. Neither of which should happen when a 2" pipe is emptying into a 3" one. You have a poor installation, but one which will work without problems.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
HJ...the deeper the trap the more it takes to completely siphon

IF a trap is going to siphon, it will happen regardless of how "DEEP" the seal is, unless it is 27' deep. Two things can siphon a trap. A pipe full of water as it empties, (and the trap has to be higher than the pipe), and/or high velocity water past an opening. Neither of which should happen when a 2" pipe is emptying into a 3" one. You have a poor installation, but one which will work without problems.

HJ...I was just trying to ease the fellows mind...:D

although I disagree with you on this,, I feel that
a deeper trap takes a whole lot more suction to completely siphon it all out enough to break the trap seal...

I dont particualry care to do this,
but being the hack that I am,:D:D
it is something I have had to do on occasion in dire situations....

we both agree that it will work as it lays,,

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes...a low spot in the waste line that can cause problems over time by allowing a build up that will cause a stoppage.

Thank you Cass, I had a feeling that was what it meant and I wanted to be sure. In the 5 years, I have been here, I have learned alot about plumbing. I even sell plumbing supplies on the side. I even corrected my own foundation drainage problems and my downspout drains to move away rainwater. I am good... I am fully in the trades. And, absolutely, no hack. :) I do good work.

I even do for my neighbor's... I learned alot here from most plumbers.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks