Wet bar sink installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Karnzo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently remodeling my basement and I am trying to install a sink in a bar that I recently built. There is a metal drain pipe with a clean out valve that I think I can tap into (pictures attached), but I'm not sure. My question is if I can tap into it, what is the best way to cut it? I have minimal plumbing experience, other than toilets and running new PEX lines with shark bites. Is it better off getting a plumber for something like this?

20180912_203241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pizzamonger

Reaction score
That looks to me like a galvanized vent pipe, which I do not think you would want to drain into. Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is above the galvanized pipe? If it's for a plumbing fixture above, you will need to add a vent between the p-trap and the stack.
If it's a vent, then it may not be a good idea. Can you sketch what you think you have there?

Karnzo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I've attached a pic of where I'd like to put the sink (circled in blue), and where the drain pipe is (circled in yellow). Directly above is my kitchen. The pipe coming out of the kitchen sink appears to be this same drain pipe. I can hear water run down when the sink or dishwasher is in use. If it helps, the house was built in 1960, not sure if that makes a difference when it comes to plumbing.
20180912_212957.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's the kitchen drain, you need to vent before entering the stack. You can use an AAV to vent the P-trap on the sink.
There is a 2" cast iron hub there I believe. It would be nice if you upsized to 2" pipe there too. They make a rubber insert for 2" cast iron hubs and 2" pipe.

Karnzo

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the helpful information!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks