Well we finally found out what the problem's been, all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Some of you may recall me talking here, about the problems we've been having with our modular house main line, since it was built in 2004. To refresh: This is a IRC modular, that we had put on a foundation in the west Denver area in 2004. It's had mysterious backups ever since. About every 8-15 months.

Background: The builder was apparently a dishonest incompetent dirtbag. He didn't even start work on the LOT for 10 months, when the whole house was supposed to have been completed in 6! We had to go to the building department and ask what was going on. We were told that he was not proposing to do things to code, and kept coming up with engineering letters saying why he didn't have to! He'd also told them that HE was the owner, which would have allowed him to do his own plumbing and electrical! ( I came by one time and he was coming out of the crawl space and said the plumbing was done. I asked where the plumber was, and was told that I'd just missed him! ) They were surprised to learn that WE were the owners. We went through hell with this guy, and it looks like he cost us about $20k more, in having to pay the additional construction loan for all those months, plus whatever he stole ( like saying he had a plumber, etc ? )

We just got done paying about $7000 for a pier support, where he had apparently left a big gap between one of the piers and the bottom frame and the house had sagged about 1-1/4" on that end.

Now this mess will cost us even more. And you think that government regulations and inspections SAVE us from people like this. NO!

So every so many months, we've been getting a situation where I'd be taking a shower in the bath at the west end ( top of the following drawing ) and would hear BLOOP BLOOP...from the toilet next to me. That was the alarm signal. Then that toilet would back up. Then the rest of the house. Then we'd have to call the rooter company. But the only time the rooter would work, was when they did it from the cleanout in the driveway. If they did it from the west end toilet, it clogged up again within a week! We had no idea why.

So we've been paying $100-$250 for rooter people and cameras, which didn't show much, for all these years - every 8-15 months! It makes us crazy, because my sister is handycapped and I'm a senior, and we're suddenly without working plumbing, until we can get a rooter company out here!

People have had various theories, but we had plastic sheeting on the bottom of the house, and everyone was afraid to touch it, even though the house is on a foundation with a 4' crawl space that has been weather sealed, so taking the sheeting off won't matter.

So last Monday afternoon, it happened again. We called the rooter company and they came out. I said; The cleanouts are right here at the top of the driveway...oh what the...?! They weren't there! The last time the rooter company had been out, was February of last year, and last summer we'd had the concrete in the driveway replaced, and guess what! They covered the cleanouts! :mad:

So I got on the horn with the concrete guy ( he now has a nice new one. ) but he said he couldn't make it out right away. So they had to start at the west end bathroom and remove the toilet and run the rooter from there. He did that, but because of that, instead of $95, it cost us $250! We're steaming at the concrete guy. He admits not seeing the cleanout caps, but didn't recall covering them up! But he said he'll remove and replace the concrete, but isn't into paying us for the extra rotter cost. He said he'd get to it in July - his slow period. :mad:

So we got it done, and were hoping it would last, but yesterday morning, I'm showering and...BLOOP BLOOP! So I freaked out and asked the concrete guy to get out here and remove it! But we didn't know where the cleanouts were under there. When we talked about it Monday, the rooter guy said they could do a camera and locate them precisely and mark them, but the concrete guy said he didn't want to pay $150 for that. :mad:

But fortunately, I like photography, and had an old photo of the house being built, showing where the cleanout pipes were sticking up. So he came and removed the concrete and we got the rooter company out here for the $95 this time. Total $350 so far. :eek:

So the rooter company told me that they have full plumbing service, and we decided to pay them $150 to come out today and remove the plastic under the house and find out, decisively, once and for all, what the frack is going on under there. We cant take anymore of this.

So a supervisor came out today and went down there and cut the plastic sheeting out, and here's the new AutoCAD diagram that I just did, of what he found.

PLUMBING%20MESS%20-%20OUR%20HOUSE.jpg

That circle is where he identified the problem - he says definitively now! He took photos. I just marked them up in bright green, with what he told me, and he did some marking on their proposed fix, which he absolutely says will fix this once and for all. Here is what he says is THE problem:

Plumbing%20problem%20identified%202%20MARKED%20UP.jpg

His red line is the proposed reroute.

Then, to bring the kitchen line into the main, they propose this:

Plumbing%20problem%20identified%203.jpg

The cost? Well they'll waive the $150 today, but the total will be $2150!

My sister has been saying for years, that this builder was a "poop sandwich" ( you know the word! ) but now it will cost us even more to fix this guy's problems, which we still don't know if they were caused by stupidity and incompetence, or maliciousness.

But the rooter company says this will take 4-5 hours for them to do. Does that seem like a lot of money for this? I know Denver has a shortage of electricians and plumbers now, as we've reached 3 million people ( refugees from California collapsing ) and it's a boom town here, with living costs going through the roof.

But this seems like $300-$400 an hour? It just hurts, at our age.

By the way, we were told that the sewer on our street was pretty deep down, so we had a good steep run from the house, down to it. But I am wondering about how sloped these pipes are?

Late night thoughts: I'm wondering - if it's clogging up in that circle Y , why is the bathroom at the bottom ( east end ) eventually clogging too?

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
He never should have used that double fitting there. Toilets being flushed will go straight past it and start to plug where it reduces to 2".

It reduces to 2"?

I don't know a thing about plumbing, but are those 4" pipes on top? They appear to be going into an even larger pipe on the bottom, that goes to the sewer? But you're saying they reduce to 2" at that junction joint between them?

Did the guy do that maliciously?

We had to bug him for 10 months, to even start work, when he was supposed to be done in 6 months, and he was messing around with not getting permits from the building department because he wanted to violate codes.

Reach4

Reaction score
When we talked about it Monday, the rooter guy said they could do a camera and locate them precisely and mark them, but the concrete guy said he didn't want to pay $150 for that. :mad:
That is very cheap for camera work.
Late night thoughts: I'm wondering - if it's clogging up in that circle Y , why is the bathroom at the bottom ( east end ) eventually clogging too?
Good thinking. I think it could be worthwhile to upgrade the camera study to include the path to the street. Your symptoms haven't seemed to follow a single-cause situation.

When they ran the cutter into your exposed cleanouts outside, did the person report hitting something on the way to the street?

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
That is very cheap for camera work.

Good thinking. I think it could be worthwhile to upgrade the camera study to include the path to the street. Your symptoms haven't seemed to follow a single-cause situation.

When they ran the cutter into your exposed cleanouts outside, did the person report hitting something on the way to the street?

No, but there's the line between that circle Y and the last bathroom at the bottom, and that appears to be clogging up last.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, but there's the line between that circle Y and the last bathroom at the bottom, and that appears to be clogging up last.
So that should be inspected and a problem located before starting the actual project work. That could be a camera inspection inside the pipe, or it could be crawling around under there as was done to take the photos above. Not fun. Maybe you could find a smaller and agile person to take your camera the length of the pipe in the crawlspace.

Your new work I presume will include a new cleanout. It may be possible to extend that to an access port or through the foundation. I think that is often done in places that don't have serious freezing. I don't know how that would work in an area that does have deep freezing.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
So that should be inspected and a problem located before starting the actual project work. That could be a camera inspection inside the pipe, or it could be crawling around under there as was done to take the photos above. Not fun. Maybe you could find a smaller and agile person to take your camera the length of the pipe in the crawlspace.

Your new work I presume will include a new cleanout. It may be possible to extend that to an access port or through the foundation. I think that is often done in places that don't have serious freezing. I don't know how that would work in an area that does have deep freezing.

I don't think the line from the cleanout to the sewer has ever been a problem, though they routinely root it anyway, just as a matter of caution.

I texted the tech and asked him about this. No reply yet. The cleanout is fine - just needs new caps because of the concrete problem. This is part of that plumbing bid they did. Fixing the broken off cleanout pipe and raising both to slightly above the level of the new concrete area.

They were in a rush to get this done for me - apparently thought it was clogging up all the time. They wanted to send the plumber to do it yesterday, but I explained that I had to work, and we had other things we had to do, and this problem only happens about every 8-15 months normally, except that it had been rooted from the far end last Monday, so it didn't work well. ( has done that before )

I don't know where the concrete guy's head was, that day, because he owns the company and he was there doing this work with his guys and claims he didn't notice these caps before he covered them with concrete. BS. They were about 1/4" above the old driveway concrete. We have to decide if we have to take him to small claims court over this, being he's willing to redo this concrete, but NOT pay the $150 difference for removing the toilet at the other end, and rooting from the wrong end, last Monday, OR for having to root it again Saturday - another $95, and I doubt he wants to pay for these caps to be repaired now, either.

Concrete%20torn%20out%205-19-18%20after%20covering%20up%20cleanout%20caps.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not sure of the pipe size there, but normally kitchens are run with 2" pipe.
You mention that there is 4" pipe there, so maybe that's reduced to 3"? but it does have a reducer there. That fitting used there is not one I would use for a line with toilets. The force of the flush will skip over and into the other line

Reach4

Reaction score
I texted the tech and asked him about this. No reply yet. The cleanout is fine - just needs new caps because of the concrete problem.
When I referred to "new cleanout", I was referring to the area at the circle.

Interesting concrete picture;
img_2.jpg

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the pipe size there, but normally kitchens are run with 2" pipe.
You mention that there is 4" pipe there, so maybe that's reduced to 3"? but it does have a reducer there. That fitting used there is not one I would use for a line with toilets. The force of the flush will skip over and into the other line

Thanks Terry. Yeah, these photos arent great. Oh wait, I forgot. There was one I forgot to post. This one shows a different angle on that pipes area. More from above.

Plumbing%20problem%20identified%201.jpg

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I'm thinking you have negative slope or a joint got pulled apart under the concrete

No, the tech checked the slope and said it's fine. And we have a very steep drop to the sewer here, too. And they woulda told me.

And this isn't under the concrete, it's in the crawl space.

MKS

Reaction score
" But the only time the rooter would work, was when they did it from the cleanout in the driveway. If they did it from the west end toilet, it clogged up again within a week! We had no idea why."
Based on this I think plumber69 has a valid concern. I'm not a plumber.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I texted the technician and he says my AutoCAD drawing has it wrong. He says ALL the toilets go into that big Y. This would explain why everything backs up when it starts happening. He says he'll correct my drawing when they do the work tomorrow.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Ok, we had the changes done today.

Plumbing%20repairs%20&%20rerouting%205-22-18%201%20redu.jpg

Plumbing%20repairs%20&%20rerouting%205-22-18%202%20redu.jpg

Plumbing%20repairs%20&%20rerouting%205-22-18%203%20redu.jpg

And here's what the pipes that he removed, looked like in the yard, laid out:

Plumbing%20repairs%20&%20rerouting%205-22-18%20section%20removed%20&%20replaced%20redu.jpg

Now I still don't know how the 3 bathrooms and kitchen sink came together into all this. They said my drawing above is incorrect, but I don't know what the correct drawing would look like and they don't seem likely to explain it. But they say that the changes today should cure it.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Here's the caps he repaired in the driveway.

Cleanout%20caps%20in%20driveway%20repaired.jpg

The crawl space re-plumbing, and fixing these caps, took 3 hours. Total $2150. Seems really expensive for 3 hours plus materials, but it's done and too late to get other bids or anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks