Replacing Moen Posi and Balancing Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

DMM8788

Reaction score
Recently remodeled two showers in the house. We used Moen Posi Temp and balancing Valves. Had them professionally installed. From day one we have only had cold water for 4 minutes then it runs out. Water starts out at 71 degrees and within 10 minutes it is 94 degrees set on a cold setting. We have had numerous plumbers out to figure things out. There are no cross overs. The cartridge has been replaced 5 times in both showers. One plumber just told us he has had other customers with this issue with Moen Posi Valve. He said we could replace it with Kohler or Simmons. I understand if we did that they would have to cut a whole in the wall to get the valves where we tiled the shower. Does anything else have to be replaced other than the two valves? Will the rest of the shower trim package that is moen with work? I hate the added cost but I would like to have the cold water too.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you mean "and balancing valves"? They installed seperate pressure balancing valves on top of your regular moen shower valve?

DMM8788

Reaction score
What do you mean "and balancing valves"? They installed seperate pressure balancing valves on top of your regular moen shower valve?
They installed two valves: Moen 3360 Commercial Brass Three-function Shower Transfer Valve and
Moen Commercial PosiTemp Pressure Balancing Shower Valve

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
contact moen with exact piping drawing as built or put it up on here. no reason for your plumber to install a lot of these and have problems , the common issue is the plumber that installed it. Sounds to me like its piped wrong

DMM8788

Reaction score
We had two showers remodeled and had these valves installed in both. The install was done by two different plumbing companies at different times.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've not dig into the weeds on this valve, but I glanced at some of the instructions. They are very specific. Do you have any pictures of the piping prior to it being buried on the wall. According to the instructions there is a specific way this needs to be piped. And each port is specified for a certain use.

DMM8788

Reaction score
No unfortunately I do not have any photos. I thought the different plumbers would know how to install. I had one plumber tell me it’s the Moen valves that he would replace them with Koehler Simmons Valves instead. But I am not sure what that would entail

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We take photos for every project that get uploaded for our customers to see. Maybe they have pics of the installation.

I would take the cover off and investigate if the valve is installed upside up first.

1697066008990.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks