Well Water - Hardness, Alkalinity, Corrosiveness

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by ChrisCCCC, Dec 10, 2020.

1. ChrisCCCC

ChrisCCCC New Member

Hello. The water out of my well is hard, heavy iron, and acidic. I have an alkaline filter that reduces the acidity, an iron filter to reduce the iron, then a water softener to soften the water.

Am I understanding this correctly? The acidity is removed by the calcium carbonate, but adds calcium to the water. The iron is removed by an aerator but adds air to the water. The water softener removes the calcium, but adds sodium to the water.

The water is corrosive from the well by the acidity. By treating the well water, the water becomes less acidic, but remains corrosive due to the sodium, and air in the water.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this? I seem to be stuck, and damned if I treat the water, and damned if I don't treat the water.

Thank you in advance.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The two main ways of raising pH (making less acid) are the calcium carbonate (with maybe something additional), and the other is to inject an alkali such as soda ash, pot ash, or something a little more dangerous in case of a failure.

Injecting soda ash solution does not raise the hardness, so if there is not much hardness to begin with, your pH treatment does not cause you to need a softener.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  5. ChrisCCCC

ChrisCCCC New Member

Thank you for feedback.

6. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Moving to the softener forum.

7. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Please post your water report so we can see what is actually in the water. You are correct in that treating water creates new problems many times... sometimes you have to pick your poison. There are many ways to treat problem water, a water report will help us tremendously.