Well Water - Hardness, Alkalinity, Corrosiveness

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisCCCC

Reaction score
Hello. The water out of my well is hard, heavy iron, and acidic. I have an alkaline filter that reduces the acidity, an iron filter to reduce the iron, then a water softener to soften the water.

Am I understanding this correctly? The acidity is removed by the calcium carbonate, but adds calcium to the water. The iron is removed by an aerator but adds air to the water. The water softener removes the calcium, but adds sodium to the water.

The water is corrosive from the well by the acidity. By treating the well water, the water becomes less acidic, but remains corrosive due to the sodium, and air in the water.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this? I seem to be stuck, and damned if I treat the water, and damned if I don't treat the water.

Thank you in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The two main ways of raising pH (making less acid) are the calcium carbonate (with maybe something additional), and the other is to inject an alkali such as soda ash, pot ash, or something a little more dangerous in case of a failure.

Injecting soda ash solution does not raise the hardness, so if there is not much hardness to begin with, your pH treatment does not cause you to need a softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Please post your water report so we can see what is actually in the water. You are correct in that treating water creates new problems many times... sometimes you have to pick your poison. There are many ways to treat problem water, a water report will help us tremendously.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks