Well run dry prevention switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiotick25

Reaction score
I left a hose open all night and ran the well dry, luckily nothing has gone wrong with the pump since this has happened. Long story short the well recovered and pump appears to be working but I'm gingerly letting it recover. I'm sourcing pumps now in case I have to get something ASAP due to a future failure.

In any case I've searched a bit online and I hoping to find some sort of switch that I can put inline that would prevent the pump run switch from constantly allowing the pump to run. I would prefer to not cut the incoming well line or drop a float down the well head. Is there an electrical switch that will "time monitor" the "run time" that a well is pumping so that if it exceeds lets say a constant run of 3 minutes that it will trip a breaker or a switch..

Anything like that out there?

Reach4

Reaction score
Anything like that out there?
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html monitors the current to the pump, and detects an out-of water condition. It shuts down the pump for an interval that you can select 1 to 999 minutes, if I read correctly. You can also set it to require a manual restart rather than automatic.

There are others that do that too. They all go in series with the power.

Last edited:

SuperGreg

Reaction score
I have a PumpTek that was installed by the previous owners. I eventually opened up the box to find that it was installed very similar to how they did many things around the house! Turns out it's not hooked up at all, the wires just come into the box and exit the other side. I found another one though called something like Well-Check, that was hidden by the electrical panel. This one has tripped now and then, but I have a feeling it's tripping erroneously. If I hit the reset button it immediately starts pumping water again every time, so I dunno!

Eventually I want to get the PumpTek hooked up, as I'm told it's better.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First off, is it Pump Tek, Pump-Tek, PumpTek or PumpTec? I read that with the pumptec that it involves a good bit of guess work and trial and error to get them dialed in whereas the Cycle Sensor has a display that takes out most of the guess work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks