Weird water leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a weird plumbing issue and hoping one of you can shed some light on it. The faucet knob in my bathtub is broken and there is no way to stop the water. So I stopped the main water into the house and called a plumber. Now I noticed that there is no water coming in any of the faucets or pipes in my home but there is a continuous trickle of water from the bathtub alone. I thought this was residual water in the pipes and should stop soon but it does not stop and has been going on for hours . The plumber won't be able to come till tomorrow afternoon and I a really worried because I have a gas water heater and I am not sure that if the water in the heater is draining via this leak. But there is no water coming in any of the pipes in the the house. Also the water is really cold. So don't think it's from the water heater but not sure .What do you think the issue is? Do you think it's possible for the water heater water to drain into the tub? What happens if all the water drains off in the water heater? Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tub is the lowest faucet in the home, that might account for the water there. Maybe the main does not close all the way. Can you check the meter and see if it's running?
Sometimes water heaters will siphon, though that normally means it would be warm.

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I checked the meter and it is not running. But yes . The bathtub faucet is most likely the lowest faucet in the home. But I would expect the water to have drained by now. It's been a couple of hours since I shut off the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks