Water main shutoff replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

scarabrad

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking for some input from the experts.

We just purchased a new home with a 20+ year old water main shutoff valve located exterior to the house. The valve is at ground level and may or may not have minimal leaking from it. The plumber is proposing replacing it with a brand new valve and then placing a second valve (not currently present) just beyond where the main supply splits to provide water to the irrigation system and to the fire supression/sprinkler system.

So...

1) Is this a reasonable idea having the two separate shutoff valves in series (one pre-irrigation and fire suppression and one post that will just cut off water to the house)? The cost is very high to do this because of the area and the company we are using (big company, lots of overhead, but are available and do a great job) so doing one would be half the price of doing both.

2) What is the best kind of main shutoff valve to install for durability and ease of use?

3) Any other considerations I should bring up to the installer? This will be a property used 6 months out of the year and safety, design and installation are of critical importance to me.

Thanks, in advance. I've enjoyed perusing this site and am grateful for the ongoing input of others in the know!

SR

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason to leave the sprinkler and fire suppression live while you fix other things. I mean in a scenario where you have need to fix something in the house and you have no water for weeks you'd maybe want to leave those live. But the aren't many if any cases where someone's water would be shut off for more than a few hours.

Depending on what you have for a valve now and where it's located I think a Ford bronze quater turn curb stop is about the highest quality valve you can get. But that may not be necessary.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you are saying if the irrigation line needs shut down you have to shut down entire house ? But if you dont mind going withoput water if a sptinkler valve breaks then thats ok. But usually if its a new house I put a tee on and leave it up to the other trades to supply/install proper valves. If Im hired to replace a valve I install a new valve at both locations and a new hose bib usualy . I use any mainstream full port ballvalve, red/ white nibco , watts to name a few

scarabrad

Reaction score
This is a second home we will be leaving for months at a time. Though we have a shutoff at the hot water heater, I do not believe we have a shut off external to the house that we could access easily without shutting water off completely to the house, irrigation and fire suppression system. Thus, if we have two shutoffs outside (pre and post fire suppression/irrigation lines) and we are alerted to a leak (we have leak and flow detection devices at several points of failure in the house), we could have someone shutoff the house supply only and leave the irrigation and fire suppression systems active. Or we could just leave those active and shut off the water to the house completely when we leave for extended periods.

Any further thoughts?

Appreciate the input!

SR

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So if you want two shut offs then get them. Not much to say. You don't need to shut off waged when you leave units something is wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks