Water leaking from clear tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Except behind a check valve or PRV, the water pressure will be the same everywhere in the system (except for the gravity effect for elevation changes), so one gauge is all you need. If you're going to install a PRV, some find it useful to have a gauge before it and one after it so you can see the before and after results of the PRV's actions.

If that valve is releasing water all the time, it's effectively a leak, so the pressure rise from heating water will not show a peak pressure. But, if your static pressure exceeds the relief valve's pressure, it will constantly be open. So, you really need to know your static pressure and what the setting is on the relief valve. It's best to not have a valve between the WH and the ET to ensure it can always do its job.

ekinskofer

Reaction score
Attached photo of house main shutoff and PRV right behind it. The PRV tag says 50psi which matches the faucet gauge reading that I took upstairs. I therefore can't see why the relief valve's pressure would open as it is set to 80PSI as per the tag on it. This leads me to conclude that the valve is jammed and in an open state causing the constant leak. Am I missing something?

mainshutoffprv.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your pressure is 50psi, that 80psi valve should not open (except during a water heating cycle without an expansion tank). So, sounds like it's toast. WIth a leak, the pressure won't rise due to expansion. Emergency pressure relief valves are not really meant to be opened on a regular basis. In a closed system, you'll have that opening due to high pressure every time the WH runs. If you choose to retain one at all, you need an ET. You can think of it as insurance...you don't want to use it all of the time. The ET is your day-t0-day guard against rising pressure. Plus, while maybe not a huge deal in some places, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to dump potable water out on a regular basis due to thermal expansion, even if you have a well...you still pay for the electricity to pump it out of the ground, and, if you have a sewer, you're paying to dispose of it as well.

ekinskofer

Reaction score
Update: Leak stopped. Replaced the 80psi valve with a 100spi (apparently they stopped making them). I had a look into the valve and it was full of brown sludge (rust?) meaning that IMO that this WH is on it's way out soon. It's still working and producing hot water, so I'm going to keep checking it and the TPV as well as this new PV to make sure that it's running ok. WH sits on a drain pan with another drain in the room so (hopefully) I'm good with any small leaks that form.

Many thanks for your help all, I learned a lot here and will be coming back to this forum for future help. Virtual cheers to all of you.. time for a pint.

E

Reach4

Reaction score
Update: Leak stopped. Replaced the 80psi valve with a 100spi
Good deal. I am glad that is fixed.
I had a look into the valve and it was full of brown sludge (rust?) meaning that IMO that this WH is on it's way out soon.
I don't think that rust can be from the water heater.
Water heater (WH) flushing can be done different ways. The simplest is to
1. Turn off the WH water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely. Usually you would use a hose to direct the water. (Take a look at the first water; it may be impressive.)
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn the water and WH back on. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.​

You might want to consider a whole house filter to take out solids that come in with the city water. Check your aerator screens to see some more stuff that came in.

Last edited:

ekinskofer

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. This is an excellent idea and something I should do more regularly moving forward. I've honestly neglected my WH for 10 years.. I've learned a lot in this last week thanks to you and others. I raise my pint glass to you good sir!

cheers.
E