Water in and out

Users who are viewing this thread

smithsa111

Reaction score
Hi,

My water in all my faucets will go out for a few seconds then start flowing again it will do it a few times while using the water. I have a well. What could cause this? Pressure tank? Just clogged nipple?

Reach4

Reaction score
Clogged nipple or pressure switch is a possibility.

When you say few seconds, those are pretty much real seconds, right?

Do you have an above ground check valve?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The drop pipe for your well pump has a hole in it.
For it to be that, there would have to be a topside check valve which is illegal in many places and bad practice none the less unless it has an airmaker system. It would be good to know *exactly* how many the "several seconds" really is. If it is an exaggeration, it could se that the air precharge is too high and that the tank completely empties before the pressure switch cuts in. The type of pump and depth to the water would also be good to know.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As was said a clogged nipple to or the pressure switch itself could be clogged. But most likely it is the overload in the motor tripping. It will automatically reset in a minute or so and the water just magically comes back on. This is all by design. The average size pressure tank causes enough cycling on/off to destroy the diaphragm in the tank. Then with a bad tank the pup cycles rapidly until it starts tripping the overload. Trips the overload for a few days and the pump is toast.

Don't just replace the tank. Fix the cycling problem with a Cycle Stop Valve and you won't need a very large tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Before assuming the worst and embarking on a wholesale pump, pipe, and tank replacement, you really need to diagnose the problem. If you cannot diagnose it, you need to provide us with relevant and accurate information or hire a competent and honest individual. It could be something as simple as mineral deposits in the pressure switch or line causing it to no longer cut in at the proper pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could also be a weak start capacitor in the control box, if there is one. I expect that the water-off time would be less predictable in that case.

Monitoring the electrical current during that interval could tell a story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks