Pulling air on start-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is there much of a chance the pump doesn't have one internally or at the outlet and the top side check is the only one in the system? I'm sure that's some haphazard handyman design but stranger things have happened.
The pump will have a check valve. It may not be working properly, but removing the above ground check is the only way to know. But if after removing the above ground check the pressure leaks back down the well, the pump will need to be pulled and the hole in the pipe and/or the bad check on the pump replaced. If either of these things are the problem causing the air, having a check valve above ground is just a temporary stop gap. The problem will still need to be fixed. Removing the above ground check may make the check on the pump start working. But if it is a hole in the pipe the above ground check could have even been the cause.

Tyoryn

Reaction score
The pump will have a check valve. It may not be working properly, but removing the above ground check is the only way to know. But if after removing the above ground check the pressure leaks back down the well, the pump will need to be pulled and the hole in the pipe and/or the bad check on the pump replaced. If either of these things are the problem causing the air, having a check valve above ground is just a temporary stop gap. The problem will still need to be fixed. Removing the above ground check may make the check on the pump start working. But if it is a hole in the pipe the above ground check could have even been the cause.
Ok, thanks for the info. I want to remove it myself to test that but a bit hesitant to do so since it's covered in putty and both end of it seem rigidly in place so no wiggle room to unscrew. I've also never dealt with differing materials (copper to CPVC). I have the plumbers that installed the new tank last year coming for a whole interior of house leak check in a few weeks. Do you or anyone else know the code for Maryland or Frederick County on if an above ground secondary CV is required or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you or anyone else know the code for Maryland or Frederick County on if an above ground secondary CV is required or not?
I firmly agree with those who say that you should not have an above-ground check valve in a home well system. But government regulations can differ. I find no info for MD on that. An appeal to authority does not always give the best result.

A health motivator for those jurisdictions that forbid that topside check valve is that the piping stays pressurized and thus prevent ingress of outside bacteria etc.

There can be value as a work-around for a hole in the pipe, but even better is to have no above-ground check valve, and to not have the failure.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/submersible-pumps-and-multiple-check-valves.26301/ includes some older discussion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks