Water Heater supply line leak

Users who are viewing this thread

fred becker

Reaction score
I read about common problems with supply line leaks on water heaters... and the recommendation to NOT use teflon tape (the washer provides the seal).

For my installation - i think it's fairly typical around here in California - the cold water supply to the water heater location is a threaded pipe. To this is threaded a shut off valve, a short stub threaded on each end and then the flexible supply line. The flexible supply line with two threaded female ends typically has a washer in each end.

My question: Should there be a washer at each of the threaded connections? i.e. when I install a new shutoff valve, should I be putting a washer before and after the valve?

Yes, I've done two water heaters in the last 6 months, and have a tiny leak at each of the stub nipples. Not sure i can get them any tighter without breaking something.... wondering if I just need to add a washer?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"My question: Should there be a washer at each of the threaded connections? i.e. when I install a new shutoff valve, should I be putting a washer before and after the valve? "

No. Pipe dope and white tape on the male threads will give you the seal you need.
Advice: Don't be afraid to tighten when you are working with two wrenches - one to tighten and the other one to counter, so you don't out twist anything. You don't have to be Mr. Universe to tighten, let the right size wrench do the work for you.

"Yes, I've done two water heaters in the last 6 months, and have a tiny leak at each of the stub nipples. Not sure i can get them any tighter without breaking something.... wondering if I just need to add a washer?"

Use only new flex connectors. No double washers. No dope and no tape.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always use new water heater flex lines on an install. If I remove one that is older than a month, they get tossed.
They come with seals on the ends, no tape or dope is needed.

If you are installing a shutoff, those are tapered threads. A shutoff to a pipe nipple doesn't use a washer, but does use either tape or dope, or both tape and dope.

corrugated-wh-supply-01.jpg

Last edited:

Finch85

Reaction score
I always use new water heater flex lines on an install. If I remove one that is older than a month, they get tossed.
They come with seals on the ends, no tape or dope is needed.

If you are installing a shutoff, those are tapered threads. A shutoff to a pipe nipple doesn't use a washer, but does use either tape or dope, or both tape and dope.

Bringing this thread back to life. I just want to make sure I'll be doing this correctly as I've read conflicting info.

Tomorrow I plan on replacing my electric water heater. I had previously purchased braided supply hoses but exchanged them for copper flex. If I understand correctly, I will not need to tape the water heater pipe stubs since my flex line has the rubber washer, correct? I attached a pic as well.

20180805_182801.jpg
20180805_182740.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, I will not need to tape the water heater pipe stubs since my flex line has the rubber washer, correct?
Yes.

I would use a small bit of silicone grease on the rubber, but that is not the norm I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks