Water heater install (CA)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by shopco, Oct 6, 2020.

1. shopco

shopco Member

14 years ago I installed the water heater using copper pipe (no flex line) to dielectric unions installed on the water heater.

When I attempted to replace the water heater the unions were welded together. They came away from the heater ok but would not disassemble as designed; I had to cut the copper pipe. Even when taking the unions to the bench vice there was no separating them. They were heavily corroded.

I am endeavoring to prevent a repeat of this situation and want comments on my plan, which is;

[copper pipe] to [dielectric union] to [12" neoprene hose with 316 stainless steel fittings] to [water heater].

What I want to know is if this will eliminate the corrosion on the dielectric unions.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You might post a photo.

California requires flex lines, so that can affect what you do.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Active Member

Is the neoprene hose rated for high-temperature operation? What about potential for bursting? I would expect over time the hose would start to degrade, flaking pieces of the hose into the water supply. Why not use the flex copper lines?

5. shopco

shopco Member

Neoprene hose used is designated hot pressure washers. 565 psi @ 72 - 210 max temp. House pressure is 80 psi. Expansion tank installed.

Hose = laminar flow, corrugated flex line = turbulent flow. I like laminar flows.

6. Mr tee

Mr tee In the Trades

Di-electric unions are pretty much worthless.

I can't understand copper flex in earthquake country. They are only flexible when new and if you don't bend them too many times. Once they harden up they are brittle. Our little neighborhood plumbing shop in Southern California sold over 1,200 in three days after one quake, and it would have been more if we could have gotten them. We had to put a per customer quantity limit on them, people wanted to buy all we had. This was in an area where the houses were originally (and mostly still) piped in galvanized. Of course nobody does gal any more, but we only saw one gal connection that broke and it was about rusted out and ready to go anyway.

7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

why the union ? the flex line is your union