New water heater install - Copper directly on hot water nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

theh1n

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently had a new water heater installed (Bradford White 50 Gallon Natural Gas RG2PV50T6N19). I just noticed that the hot water connection on the water heater is directly connected to copper pipe. Conversely, the cold water connection has, what seems to be, a brass fitting in between the water heater and the copper piping. The previous water heater had brass fittings on both hot and cold connected to copper.

My main question is, is the current setup OK (hot water directly connected to copper)? My understanding is that this can potentially leak to galvanic corrosion? Should a brass fitting been used here for longevity? Pictures attached.

Finally, is the pressure relief valve in the proper position? Should this be completely vertical (pictures attached)?

IMG_1165.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1167.jpeg

Thank you!
IMG_1168.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A brass connection would be better, but those nipples coming from the water heater should be dielectric. You should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. The relief is installed correctly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about copper connection but I dont install that way We have to use a flex So I choose corrugated stainless. The Expansion tank appears unsupported. Tand P appears higher than IPC code allows. Against drywall the discharge undesireable. Im nit picking a little . I wouldnt perform that work or expect to pass but he might sign the card

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I dont like the pro-press fittings .... they are not re-usable and if you have an issue its all
got to be torn out and redone again... they should have used SS flex connectors.....

their is no pan under the water heater which we always install no matter what
the story is....

its basically ok just personal preference

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont like the pro-press fittings .... they are not re-usable and if you have an issue its all
got to be torn out and redone again... they should have used SS flex connectors.....

their is no pan under the water heater which we always install no matter what
the story is....

its basically ok just personal preference
I would see no point in putting a pan on the floor. and no piping towards a drain or no floor drain at all seems pointless

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would see no point in putting a pan on the floor. and no piping towards a drain or no floor drain at all seems pointless

I am pretty religious about the pan
I put them all in a pan and even without a drain nearby,
I install a threaded adaptor on the pan so the customer
can hook up a garden hose to it and pipe it outside or to a far away drain....

The pan is code in our area and its just wise to do this Its wise to do
all you can to keep yourself out of water damage insurance issues months or years down the road

I have seen too many floods from the T+P pissing out all over the place and flooding the nearby
finished carpet in the basement..... people are as dumb as bricks but on average they have
enough brains to hook up a hose to the pan and drain it outside if they see it pissing all over the place

but you be you and I will be me......

Reach4

Reaction score
Jeff just pipes the T&P outside. Problem solved if you don't get hard freezes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks