Water Heater for Building Heat and Hot Water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maine Way

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am considering a Phoenix, PH199-80, Stainless Steel NG Water Heater as the boiler for my building. I am able to get a new one for half price, and I would like any advice on pros and cons of this approach.
The radiation I am using in the building is a mix of cast iron baseboard and radiant heat, perhaps with one panel radiator.

The hot water tank in this model is set up with a heat exchanger with auxiliary ports as well as connections for domestic hot water, allowing it to serve both functions.

Since I am planning to have different types of radiation with different water temperature requirements, does this setup help with that in comparison to a wall hung condensing boiler? Does the hot water tank work as a buffer tank?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system? The other system I am considering is a dual 100k BTU wall-hung boiler system with primary and secondary piping, such that the second boiler would only cycle on when needed. This would be more efficient since the shoulder seasons would only need one boiler, and the second boiler could kick in if hot water demand was high (building has 4 showers and a dishwasher). Also, the added benefit is redundant system if there is one breaks, allowing time for repair.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Shawn

ph199-80.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks